Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gallipoli Battlefields

Andrew P

In the Weekend Australian Newspaper this morning I read an article which forum members might be interested in hearing about.

Turkey is actively campaining to give World Heritage status to Anzac Cove for it's 'moral' value. As the paper says 'The Turkish case rests as much on the war itself as the manner in which the former combatants have forged a special bond over the graves of their fallen, with Anzac Cove as a symbolic focus.'

The Turkish ambassador to Australia, Tansu Okandan, stated "It's an idea embraced by the Turkish Government because of Gallipoli's great importance to both Turkey and Australia, and also for the old world nations. It is unique in the world that two countries are able to put aside resentments and have a mutual understanding and respect on the basis of a past war in which they were both on opposite sides. To this extent it sends a powerful message to the world for peace and mutual respect."

The paper didn't mention whether Cape Helles & Suvla would be included in this World Heritage Status, but I would hope they would be.

Regards

Andrew

Andrew,

That's terrific news and sure to be welcomed by many people all around the world. I wonder how long the process takes before this designation is finalized and becomes official? It would of course be ideal if Helles and Suvla could also be included, however it is widely understood that Anzac and the relationship between Australia/New Zealand and Turkey is rather more special than most.

A year or two back I was listening to a commentator speaking from the Cenotaph in Whitehall on the 11th November and I heard him remark that he thought it was about time that some of the 'enemy' were represented at these services. I thought to myself "Well, you've never been to an Anzac Day service, have you!"

It is always impressive to see the representative of Turkey lay his wreath and to hear Ataturk's words of reconciliation read out as an integral part of the service . If only other nations in conflict would take time off from vilifying each other to study this and to learn the lessons of the Turks and Anzacs

Regards

Michael D.R.