Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

3 Greygoose brothers

Patrick H

The family originated from Takely Essex and at time of 1901 census were at 2 Arnold Cottages Abridge with dad working at Arnolds Farm, one of many owned by Lord Lambourne of Bishops Hall, Lambourne. By the start of the Great war the boys were aged 22 (Alfred) 18 (Lawrence Victor) and 15 (Leo Eric) and still resident in Abridge although sometime during the War it appears the parents Alfred & Annie moved to Enfield Wash. Did they lose all 3 boys to the War ??

Alfred Greygoose born in 1892 ? is he the same L/Cpl A Greygoose 12640 2nd Batt Essex Regt kia 1.7.17 on the Somme buried Sucrerie Cem, Colincamps ?? I have assumed maybe wrongly that he is but the CWGC site gives no info ??

Lawrence John Victor Greygoose born 1896 Pte 32185, 9th Batt Essex Regt died (of wounds?) 12.05.1918 buried Acheux British Cem (I believe this to be a Field Dressing Station Cem?)

Leo Eric Greygoose born 1899 (15 at start of War!!) Pte 37608 1st Batt East Surrey Regt died 23.8.1918 buried Adanac Military Cem Miraumont.

If I am right in believing Alfred is the one and same man as Pte A Greygoose then the family would have lost all 3 sons to the War.

There are 2 other Greygoose dead

Francis Greygoose born 1891 at Stanstead (next village to Takely!!) son of William and Eliza. Rifleman 6173 2nd Batt KRRC died 23.10.14 (obv a regular) rememberd on the Menin Gate

and

J Greygoose Cpl 225174, 7th Batt Norhtamptonshire Regt died 16.10.1918 buried?? Haussy Communal Cem France I have no idea where, if at all, he fits into family.

I am itching to know any more about the 3 brothers Alfred, Lawrie and Leo and my query as to whether they all 3 died - any help on this one please.

Patrick

Hi Patrick,

Soldiers Died CDR (Version2) lists the following

L/Cpl Albert Greygoose 12640 2nd Batt Essex Regt KIA 1.7.16

Born: Forest Gate. Enlisted: Grays. Resident: Orsett

Private Lawrence John Victor Greygoose 32185. 9th Batt Essex Regt DOW 12.05.1918.

Born: White Roding, Essex Enlisted: Warley, Essex. Resident:Waltham Abbey

Private Leo Eric Greygoose 37608. 1st Batt East Surrey Regt KIA 23.8.1918

Born:Tately, Essex(could mean Takely) Enlisted: Mill Hill. resident: Enfield Wash

Rileman Francis Greygoose. 6173 2nd Batt KRRC KIA 23.10.14

Born: Bishop Stotford. Resident: Tottenham Hale

Corporal Joseph Greygoose 225174. 7th Batt Norhtamptonshire Regt KIA 16.10.1918 Enlisted: Cambridge. Formerly 3399 Cambridgeshire Regiment.

There are no other Greygoose's listed. The CWGC does list a final Greygoose of the NZEF but I assume you have seen this.

Albert was killed in Action on the first day of the Somme not 01/07/1917.

Your next step should be to try and see if any of their service records exist at the National Archives in Kew. If they do, and you would be very lucky to find all 5, this may be able to help determine their relationship, if any.

Hope This Helps.

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

The only Albert Greygoose on BMD register was born June qtr 1891 West Ham, Essex.

Alfred William Greygoose registered Dec Qtr 1891 at Dunmow

Two other Alfreds but this is one our chap.

Different boys, Patrick.

A blessed relief to Alfred's mother, I assume. At least one of her boys made it home...

Steve.

BTW Patrick. The Shudy Camps Greygoose's seem to be well represented on the GenesReunited site. Recommended.

Many thanks Paul for that. I suspect that after all Albert may not be a brother to Lawrence and Leo but will continue looking. By the way it is the village of Takely, most of which will disappear under the Stansted airport extension

Thanks, Patrick

Thanks Steve but problem not solved yet! The Alfred I have is born 1892 ? and the family originated in Takely in the district of Dunmow so it might still be the same boy. As the family were agricultural labourers it may be that they moved around a bit. More work then!!

Patrick

I believe that the Alfred William Greygoose is almost certainly the third brother.

The Census in 1901 was on 31-3-1901. The census takes the age (9) and deducts that from 1901 to arrive at a birth year.

It is actually more likely that someone aged 9 in 1901 was born in 1891 (between April and December) than in 1892 (January to March)

Does that make sense?

Steve.

Greygoose of the NZEF is

Surname GREYGOOSE

Given Name James

Category Nominal Roll Vol. 3

Regimental Number 47326

Rank Private

Next of Kin Title Mrs Elizabeth

Next of Kin Surname GREYGOOSE

Next of Kin Relationship Mother

Next of Kin Address South Rakaia

Roll Roll 66

Page Page 10

Occupation Labourer

James Greygoose, sawyer, called up in 1916

Name: GREYGOOSE, JAMES

Initials: J

Nationality: New Zealand

Regiment: Canterbury Regiment, N.Z.E.F.

Unit Text: 2nd Bn.

Date of Death: 24/10/1918

Service No: 47326

Additional information: Son of James and Elizabeth Greygoose, of South Rakaia, Canterbury, New Zealand.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: VI. C. 5.

Cemetery: ROMERIES COMMUNAL CEMETERY EXTENSION

son of James and Eliza Elizabeth Greygoose of Rakaia who married in 1888 and both died in 1941