Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Lancashire Fusiliers

Sgt_Hazell_Great_Grandson

I wonder if anybody knows the movements of The 2nd Battalion , Lancashire Fusiliers from 1885 until 1897.

This is an important part of my Great Grandfathers time in the army prior to him joining up again for The Great War.

Thanks for any help,

Regards, Roland.

Thanks Steve but i have seen this link.I`m looking for a bit more detail...if it is out there !

Hope you are well,

Roland.

Not really. Head cold. Could be worse. Weekend's on its way...

Sorry I couldn't help.

Steve.

Guest Rivers

Hi

My great Grandfather was in the 2nd batallion prior to WW1 when he was transferred to the 9th. Im currently doing research into his movements myself but havent got round to it in any detail yet. All I know at present is what my Great Grandfather told my father (his grandson) but seen as my father was only nine when he died the information we have is very limited. The places he mentioned were Eygpt, Sudan and South Africa. I believe they were in Eygpt and Sudan in 1898. With regards to South Africa and the Boer War my father always remembers being told about Spion Kop. The battle at Spion Kop took place in January 1900. Ive attached some text about this but at the moment this is all I know.

Spionkop.doc

A superb, detailed account of the 2nd LF and other Lancashire units in the South African war (including Spion Kop) is given in 'Red Roses on the Veldt' by Colonel John Downham ISBN 1-85936-075-0. Published 2000. Sadly the book, a large format expensive paperback, lavishly illustrated with photographs, didn't sell well and could be bought fairly recently at a remainder shop in Bury for £2-99

These are the dates i have for the 2nd.

1879 Ireland

Then to India :

1881 Bombay

1885 Nusserabad

1888 Ahmednagar

1892 Poona

1897 Quetta

Then moves on from India

1898 Egypt

1898 Sudan

1898 Crete

1898 Malta

October 1899 South Africa

1902 back to England.

I would love to know more about their time in India

Thanks Roland.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

For anyone looking for individual records the NA says it has alphabetical listings for the 2nd Bttn LF in WO 96/410 it think 401 to about 415 is the listing and cover records from 1897-1915.

Not been able to check this out yet but if anyone can I would very much like details of

Peter Lewis available in 410 I would repay any expense.

Hope this helps

Mark

A superb, detailed account of the 2nd LF and other Lancashire units in the South African war (including Spion Kop) is given in 'Red Roses on the Veldt' by Colonel John Downham  ISBN 1-85936-075-0. Published 2000. Sadly the book, a large format expensive paperback, lavishly illustrated with photographs, didn't sell well and could be bought  fairly recently at a remainder shop in Bury for £2-99

Mark.

Are you sure about this title? The LF's are hardly mentioned at all in this book (and not at all in the index!) which is basically the story of the "Holy Trinity" (East Lancs, Loyal North Lancs and South Lancs and their associated militia and volunteer units) in the Boer War.

That said, though, it's definately one of the very best of its genre.

Dave.

Dave-My memory was playing me up slightly. The LF do get very short shrift in the book, but you do get an idea of their service and Spion Kop is covered.

• 2 weeks later...

Heres some info for you: Pte 1464 William Hazel enlisted at Hounslow 13th November 1885, age 19. He was born in London. Cheers Neil.