Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Delville Wood Visitors Center

jdajd

Does the DWVC have a website? I just got the Battleground Europe Walking the Somme and it said something like the above could help with planning a trip and accomodations. I am finally starting to seriously research this trip and I want to tap as many sources as possible. Also are there any places to stay in and around Peronne b/c I think it would be the most central for the places I want to go.

Jon

No, they don't have a website. They are mentioned in the book in this respect, because they have one of the best stocks of tourist leaflets for the area. Until recently they were the only place on the Somme you could get this sort of info!

The Ramparts Hotel in Peronne is favoured by many (I once translated their rather fine menu!); at the cheaper end of the market there is a Campanile on the outskirts, opposite a British cemetery.

I think this is the real greatness of this site where an anonymous person can mention something in a book and the actual author responds.

Guest Simon Bull
at the cheaper end of the market there is a Campanile on the outskirts, opposite a British cemetery.

Interesting cemetery - lots of Indian burials. We stayed in this hotel on our fist ever visit to the battlefields and on our last day the cemetery was shrouded in a lovely Spring mist and we strolled around it in beautiful but quite erie conditions just before leaving for home.