Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Tonbridge School in the Great War

westkent78

While I don't have the breadth of knowledge or additional resources that Dick Flory possesses I'd like to make myself available to perform consultations in this book.

It contains both a roll of honour, often with a small picture, and a listing with some service history of all Tonbridgians and staff the authors could determine had served in the Allied forces during the war.

Matthew

Matt,

I meant to ask you this following your email. I would very much appreciate a lookup - and if possible a scan of any picture – for the Kent and England cricketer Kenneth Lotherington Hutchings. He lived in London Road, Southborough, not far from my uncle Oscar. He is remembered on Southborough memorial which as you know overlooks one of the oldest cricket pitches in the country.

Thanks and regards,

Clive

post-857-1115344723.jpg

Clive,

I've located him in the book and it's quite a lengthy entry, including an appreciation of him from the Daily Telegraph. There is also mention of his three brothers' service if you are interested.

I'll probably have to wait until the weekend to transcribe it.

There is also a very martial picture of him, although it is fairly small. I'll see how well the scanner works.

I like the Vanity Fair print you have of him.

It's interesting that they chose to depict him fielding when according to the Telegraph and the entry he was noted more for his batting, although he was no slouch in the field.

Regards,

Matthew

Matt,

Many thanks. Don't spend time transcribing. I will be happy with a scan of the text which I might be able to OCR anyway.

I grabbed the picture from Ebay. The Vanity Fair print came up a few months back and rapidly escalated far beyond my reach. Yes, he was a batsman but took 179 catches in his first-class career.

My analogue photos of Tonbrige memorial are not good enough to reveal names. I will go back and try again, preferably when there is an oblique light to show up the engraving.

Best regards,

Clive

Clive,

I've sent you the scans of his entry. It's quite a weighty book to scan in so let me know if you have any problems.

If you are after an actual Vanity Fair print you might try the print shop near Kent & Sussex Hospital, a few doors down from the Ford dealership in the direction of Langton Green. I'm afraid I can't remember the name of the shop. He's a family friend and is deeply into cricket, but I know he specializes in Vanity Fair prints. Of course, I think the sportsmen pictures are particularly popular.

Here's an attachment of Hutchings from the Tonbridge Roll.

Regards,

Matthew

post-2343-1115588206.jpg

Matthew,

Thank you very much for the email and the scans. What marvellously detailed information!

I will look for the print shop the next time I am in Tunbridge Wells. I think Vanity Fair prints will be rather beyond my budget though. As you say, they are much sought after.

Thanks again and best regards,

Clive

• 2 weeks later...
Matthew,

is there an entry for Lieutenant D.B. Stamp, 1st Bn. East Yorks?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

Yes. It's a page long entry. I'll scan it in tomorrow and pm it to you. There is also a photo which I'll attach here and send you as well.

Here is a taster:

Douglas Blatspiel Stamp. 3rd Battn. East Yorkshire Regt. (S.R.) Attd. 1st Battn.

Killed in Action Near Elverdinghe, April 10th 1916. Aged 25.

At the School 1905-08 (Ferox Hall)

Apparently a very fine horseman.

Commissioned August 15th 1914 and posted to 5th Dragoon Guards buteventually transferred to S.R. Bn of East Yorkshire Regt October 17th 1914.

Joined 1st Bn in March 1915 and was wounded in the left hip during attack on Hooge August 9th 1915, and buried by bursting shell.

On his return to the 1st from England in January he was posted to the 10th Entrenching Bn and became their adjutant.

On the 10th their camp was heavily shelled and Stamp was killed almost instantaneously by a small splinter piercing his heart. He was buried the same day in a cemetery by the road from Elverdinghe to Poperinghe.

Regards,

Matthew

Steve,

Yes. It's a page long entry. I'll scan it in tomorrow and pm it to you. There is also a photo which I'll attach here and send you as well.

Here is a taster:

Douglas Blatspiel Stamp. 3rd Battn. East Yorkshire Regt. (S.R.) Attd. 1st Battn.

Killed in Action Near Elverdinghe, April 10th 1916. Aged 25.

At the School 1905-08 (Ferox Hall)

Apparently a very fine horseman.

Commissioned August 15th 1914 and posted to 5th Dragoon Guards buteventually transferred to S.R. Bn of East Yorkshire Regt October 17th 1914.

Joined 1st Bn in March 1915 and was wounded in the left hip during attack on Hooge August 9th 1915, and buried by bursting shell.

On his return to the 1st from England in January he was posted to the 10th Entrenching Bn and became their adjutant.

On the 10th their camp was heavily shelled and Stamp was killed almost instantaneously by a small splinter piercing his heart. He was buried the same day in a cemetery by the road from Elverdinghe to Poperinghe.

Regards,

Matthew

Matthew, this is excellent stuff. I didn't realise he was at Hooge and had no idea how he met his end.

Look forward to getting the extra info from the book.

Many thanks,

Steve

Matthew, this is excellent stuff. I didn't realise he was at Hooge and had no idea how he met his end.

Look forward to getting the extra info from the book.

Many thanks,

Steve

Steven

Here is Stamp's picture. I've pm'd you for your email so I can send the scan of the page entry.

post-2343-1116814906.jpg

Steve,

I've sent you the promised scan.

I've also be remiss in that while flicking through the book I came across further service information on Stamp.

Here it is:

Tpr. Inns of Court O.T.C. Sqdn (T.F.) '13: 2nd Lt. 5th (Pss. Charlotte of Wales's) Dragoon Gds. (S.R.) 15/08/14; attd. 1st Res. R. of Cav.; transfd. to INf; 2nd Lt. 3rd Bn E.York. R. (S.R.) 17/10/14; Lt. 2/2/15; France, 30/3-9/8/15; 1st Bn. E.York R., 6th Div.; (Actions of Hooge, '15); W. (in l. hip) & later in day "buried" by shell, 9/8/15, at Hooge:in hosp. till Nov.; on l.duty till Jan.; France, 29/1-10/4/16; 1st Bn. E.York.R. for short time; O.C. Coy, 10th Entrenching Bn; Adjt. 10th Bn 20/3/16; Ypres Salient; Killed in Action nr Elverdinghe, APr 10 1916.

Regards,

Matthew

Clive,

Here is some more information on Hutchings which I found in the book.

2nd Lt. 4th Bn. The King's (S.R.) 24/9/14; Lt. 17/12/15; France 26/4-Dec 1915; attd. 2nd Bn. R. Welch Fus; slightly w. in '15 nr. Hill Wood; returned home in Dec '15 to undergo an operation necessitated by hardships; France July -3/9/16; 12th Bn. The King's : Bs. of the Somme 1/7-3/9/16; Killed in Action at Ginchy, Sept 3, 1916.

Regards,

Matthew