Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

1ST/8TH MIDDLESEX

Captain Chavasse

H J JOHNSTON

TF/2454 1ST/8TH MIDDLESEX

DIED APRIL 1915

Can anyone tell me his christian name please?

Thanks, Deirdre.

BINGO!

Thank you very much Myrtle. Humphrey is my boyfriends great uncle. He's on the Menin gate, which we've been to untold times, but we've only just found out he existed. He'll be really pleased that he's now got 'one of his own' to visit.

Thanks, Deirdre.

Deirdre

I believe Humphrey's middle name was John but can confirm, if your boyfriend's great uncle was born in Marylebone and lived in Chiswick at the time of 1901 census, when he was listed as 2 years old. Also did Humphrey have a connection with Scotland as I believe his father and grandfather were born there ?

Myrtle

Hi Myrtle,

Humphrey had a brother called Leonard Wilson.Could you see if he's on the census please?

Thanks, Deirdre

Hi Myrtle,

Humphrey had a brother called Leonard Wilson.Could you see if he's on the census please?

Thanks, Deirdre

Do you know if he was an older or younger brother ?

It would be interesting to confirm if the Humphrey John who was born in Marylebone is the same as great uncle Humphrey as this would indicate that he was 16 years old when he was killed in action.

Myrtle,

The other half's mum is nearly 80 and bit vague but she thinks Humphrey was her dad's (Leonard's) older brother.

Deirdre

Family details:

Head, Peter White Johnston, 28, Born Scotland, Draper's assistant

Wife, Maud E Johnston, 25, born Marylebone

Son, Humphrey J Johnston, 2, born Marylebone.

No Leonard Wilson listed. If he's younger then he may have missed the 1901 Census.

Address looks like 48 Wilton Avenue, Chiswick.

(Though Myrtle know what my address reading is like. Has the dog been for his walk? :D )

Birth Record : Humphrey John Johnston, registered June qtr 1898, Marylebone, 1a-550

Steve

Deirdre

Leonard Wilson Johnston was born in the September Quarter of 1901 in Brentford which ties in with the West London connection with Humphrey Johnston. Chiswick and Brentford are next to each other. Leonard was born after the 1901 census.

SDGW lists Humphrey as Resident: Hanwell and Enlisted: Ealing.

Myrtle

Steve

Yes the dog has been for his walk today ;)

You are correct with Wilton Avenue, it exists. I will be visiting a house in the next road this weekend.

Myrtle

Taking your camera, no doubt...

Cracking find on Leonard.

Now I do wish they would hurry up and release the 1911 Census! Wouldn't our job be easier...

Steve.

Thanks for the info boys,

The Humphrey on the census is definately our Humphrey.

But is he the same one on the gate? Does SDGW list his age at death?

Thanks, Deirdre

Deirdre

SDGW doesn't list the ages of the soldiers. They have him Resident in Hanwell and Enlisting in Ealing which puts him in the correct area of the country. SDGW also has him as TF 2454, which indicates that he was a territorial and his mic has this particular soldier listed as Humphrey.

You should check to see if his papers still exist at the NA.

Myrtle

Myrtle,

Thanks for all your help, will go next week.

Deirdre

Hi Myrtle,

I went to the NA yesterday where 3 nice gentlemen helped me. If any pals were there yesterday and they remember helping a VERY dumb blonde(trying to feed microfilm into the microfiche printer!) thank you all. Anyway hurrah! I found Humphrey's papers. He enlisted on the 1st of July 1914 giving his age as 19.(little liar). He was sent to Glbraltar on 10/09/14 to 15/02/15. He was then in Engla nd for 22 days before landing in France on 09/03/15 and was killed in action at Zonnebeke on 28/04/15. His mother recieved his medals (14-15, BWM and VM) in March 1920. The poor woman had another boy born in the year Humphrey died. I looked at the battalion diaries and it looks like it all kicked off on the 25th with hand to hand fighting in the trenches. I couldn't read everything as i had to go somewhere. There were about 100 casualties. Some of those killed have no known grave like Humphrey. Does anyone know anymore about what happened on the 28th?

Thanks, Deirdre

Hi Deirdre

I'm pleased to hear that you discovered Humphrey's papers while experiencing the joys of the NA. It would be interesting to see a photograph of Humphrey to understand how he managed to join up for overseas service, when only just 16.

I was in the area of Wilton Avenue at the weekend so here is photograph of number 48 where (according to Steve) Humphrey was living when he was 2 years old. Excuse the funny angle as I had to almost sit on a parked car to achieve a clear view.

Myrtle

post-38-1115913090.jpg