Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Western front aviation computer simulations ?

RodB

I'm interested in flying aircraft over the western front on my computer, particularly trying out the various ground attack aircraft like the Sopwith Salamander and hopefully the German aircraft that actually became operational like the JI. Not so much the shoot-em-up aspect but for getting some idea of what the airial perspective could have been like.

Anyone know if much work has been done on trench scenery simulation ? Would the flight characteristics of the Salamander have been pretty much that of the Snipe with about 700 extra pounds of weight added ?

thanks

Rod

Rod,

have a look at this site:

Over Flanders Fields

It's not ready yet, but will be an add-on for Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 3 so I suppose it should be stable.

There are a number of sims out there, most of them based on the dreadful Red Baron 2, they tend to need all sorts of patches to run with modern operating systems and graphics cards - all the ones that I've looked at are not worth the trouble, though many seem to find them amusing.

Mike

Thanks Mike. If this project delivers what it promises the implications are awesome. You'll be able to "be there" - tramping through the Menin gate and up the Menin Road. Looking East from Messines ridge. Flying over the Siegfried Stellung. We are approaching virtual reality.

cheers

Rod