Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

royal fusiliers in ww1

bernardmcilwaine

Hi Bernard

My apologies for the "vagueness" on this one & I understand if its not possible, but are there any KENDALL or HACK's mentioned please? Bit of a family pic mystery behind the question that I havent found any leads for so far, hence the uncertainty!

Thanks Bernard, even if no joy :D

Steve

Hi Bernard

My apologies for the "vagueness" on this one & I understand if its not possible, but are there any KENDALL or HACK's mentioned please? Bit of a family pic mystery behind the question that I havent found any leads for so far, hence the uncertainty!

Thanks Bernard, even if no joy  :D

Steve

HIYA STEVE DONT WORRY ABOUT VAGUENESS HALF OF WW1 RESEARCH IS VAGUE,GOOD AND BAD NEWS, NO KENDALL BUT THERE IS A CSM HACK IS THAT WHO YOU ARE LOOKING FOR,I DONT WANT TO TYPE IT ALL OUT IN CASE ITS NOT HIM,LET ME KNOW,BERNARD

Hi Bernard

Could I ask if you have anything on the name Humphries.

Thanks

Alan

ALAN IS IT CAPT HUMPHRIES YOU,RE LOOKING FOR,BERNARD

HIYA STEVE DONT WORRY ABOUT VAGUENESS HALF OF WW1 RESEARCH IS VAGUE,GOOD AND BAD NEWS, NO KENDALL BUT THERE IS A CSM HACK IS THAT WHO YOU ARE LOOKING FOR,I DONT WANT TO TYPE IT ALL OUT IN CASE ITS NOT HIM,LET ME KNOW,BERNARD

Thanks bernard! May be him, but the picture I have doesnt look like someone who would have become a CSM between Sep 1916 & the end of the war - certainly no offence intended towards my relative of course! Thanks mate, rather than waste your time typing it all out i think it safest to assume its not the one, in this instance!! Have a feeling that Ive come across CSM Hack before somewhere though.

Cheers again :D

Bernard

Anything on ELDERIDGE (A A C are possibly the Christian name initials), battn unknown or SR/7386 Pte William HAYDON of the 1st Bn?

Paul

Bernard,

wonder if you can help me please?

I always thought my grandad Bertie Alfred SCOTT served all his time during the Great War in the Royal West Kents, however i couldn't believe my luck when i managed to get a copy of his service from the 'burnt records'. But as normal I have ended up with many more questions than answers, could you look at the following and bring your knowledge/experience to the problem and provide me any info or guidance you can please?

He was;

Called up from the Army Reserve on 29/7/1916,

posted to 3rd Bat Royal West kents on the 30/7/1916,

posted as a private G/17123 8th Bat Royal West Kents and embarked for France 31/10/1916.

Transfered to 13th Bat Royal Fusiliers 21/11/1916 joining A company on the 23/11/1916 (private 61404)

He was then shown posted to 37th HQ Royal Fusiliers 23/12/1916.

It then starts to get a bit confusing with conflicting info

After a spell in a field ambulance 23/8/1917-22/9/1917 he is shown posted to 5th Bat Royal Fusiliers (UK) 11/10/17 embarking back for France on 20/11/1917;

And being then posted to the 26th Bat Royal Fusiliers on 22/11/17 (i am told they had already left france on the 17/11/17 for Italy, there was never 'talk in the family' of him going to Italy)

He then transfered to the Labour Corp on the 31/12/1917

As I say a bit confusing so any light you can shed on the problem will be gratefully accepted,

Regards and thank you in anticipation,

Scottie.

Bernard

Yes, please.

Alan

hiya alan,this is what i have on him,3rd royal fus arrived at dieppe on 14th july,after rest and training,two months later they marched to the front as part of the 149th brig,50th div,marching through the night of 3rd march and at 6.10 the following morning they advanced between le cateau and venduile onto the redoubt at richmond copse moving down the slope to the scheldt canal then up a valley on the opposite bank,they were enfiladed on both flanks from venduile and le catalet but reached their objective at 7.30am they found themselves isolated so went back step by step to near the starting point,they swept a path clean taking 300 prisoners many of them machine gnrs,the 4th krrcwere able to advance over the same ground that evening with few casualties,the fusiliers lost heavily,capt w.t.humphries being one of them,this action saw the most fusilier officer casualties for a single action.that it alan best i can do for ya mate

• 2 weeks later...

Bernard,

I always thought my grandad Bertie Alfred SCOTT served all his time during the Great War in the Royal West Kents, however i couldn't believe my luck when i managed to get a copy of his service from the 'burnt records'. But as normal I have ended up with many more questions than answers, could you look at the following and bring your knowledge/experience to the problem and provide me any info or guidance you can please?

He was;

posted as a private G/17123 8th Bat Royal West Kents and embarked for France 31/10/1916.

Transfered to 13th Bat Royal Fusiliers 21/11/1916 joining A company on the 23/11/1916 (private 61404)

After a spell in a field ambulance 23/8/1917-22/9/1917 he is shown posted to 5th Bat Royal Fusiliers (UK) 11/10/17 embarking back for France on 20/11/1917;

And being then posted to the 26th Bat Royal Fusiliers on 22/11/17 (i am told they had already left france on the 17/11/17 for Italy, there was never 'talk in the family' of him going to Italy)

As I say a bit confusing so any light you can shed on the problem will be gratefully accepted,

Scottie.

Bernard,

He was;

hiya scottie,ime sorry i have only just seen your post,your g/father looks like he was one of the replacements for the 13th batts somme casualties,at the time he arrived the batt had ceased fighting in the somme offensive[ancre] they held positions on the banks of the ancre,south east of beaucourt,

Scottie.

scottie,the 5th batt were the res batt,apart from supplying drafts they were part of the dover defences,is there any mention of him being sick or wounded because he spent over five weeks in the uk,i know the 5th had to improvise their training staff because of the large amount of men passing through it,it could have been attatched to them temp,as a instructor,the 26th left for italy in the 2nd week of nov,they returned to france in march [1st week],bernard

Bernard,

thank you for your reply, the documents i have show him to '50' Field Ambulance 23/8/1917 and onward to Uk 22/9/17, i am having trouble dechipering the writing but it also has 14SH and looks like the poor devil was suffering from dysentry.

Then after returning to France he was posted to 26th Batt Royal fusileers 20/11/17 at Le Havre. (Do you know what they were up to at that time please?)

He was then posted to 180 Labour Corp.

Don't know what sense you can make from my 'ramblings' but any guidance would be gratefully accepted, thank you,

regards,

Scottie.

Bernard,

Any reference :-

G/16514 Sgt H Gresley 1Btn Royal Fusiliers please.

He is mentioned here on the forum.

Pals have already added his DCM citation and the location of the battalion 5th to 7th November 1918 as recorded in Royal Fusiliers in the Great War by H C O'Neill.

thanks

Stuart

Bernard,

Any reference :-

G/16514 Sgt H Gresley 1Btn Royal Fusiliers  please.

He is mentioned here on the forum.

Pals have already added his DCM citation and the location of the battalion 5th to 7th November 1918 as recorded in Royal Fusiliers in the Great War by H C O'Neill.

thanks

Stuart

hi stuart,sgt gresley is not mentioned,its strange because quite a few other ranks who distiguished themselves are,bernard

Bernard,

thank you for your reply, the documents i have show him to '50' Field Ambulance 23/8/1917 and onward to Uk 22/9/17, i am having trouble dechipering the writing but it also has 14SH and looks like the poor devil was suffering from dysentry.

Then after returning to France he was posted to 26th Batt Royal fusileers 20/11/17 at Le Havre. (Do you know what they were up to at that time please?)

He was then posted to 180 Labour Corp.

Don't know what sense you can make from my 'ramblings' but any guidance would be gratefully accepted, thank you,

regards,

Scottie.

hiya scottie,theres no mention of the batt at le havre,is it possible that he was in the labour corps on this date,bernard

hi stuart,sgt gresley is not mentioned,its strange because quite a few other ranks who distiguished themselves are,bernard

Bernard,

Thank you for checking - appreciated.

Stuart

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Bernard,

Wondered if you could help please. Just found the medal card for Private 2020 William Bazzoni who joined the Royal Fusiliers on 25th August 1915. Theatre of war being the Balkans. He's then shown as private 237115 with the Northumberland Fusiliers.

Would really appreciate any information that you may have. Have been researching my surname for some years and now (with the help of the medal cards) looking at those who served in WW1.

Thanks very much,

Jean-Marc

hello jean-marc,sorry i only just noticed your post,hes not mentioned in the book,sorry,bernard

Bernard

Anything on ELDERIDGE (A A C are possibly the Christian name initials), battn unknown or SR/7386 Pte William HAYDON of the 1st Bn?

Paul

Hiya Bernard, just bumping this one up the list again.

Best wishes

Paul

• 7 months later...

Hi Bernard

Im trying to find out when my Great great Uncle Henry John Morrell Service number SR9571 moved from one Battalion to another .He served in the1st Bn the 4th BN and ended up in the 24th Bn [2nd Sportsmen]

Killed and Lost on March 24th 1918 during the retreat,oops! I mean tactical movement.If you could advise

me on how to possibly find out I would be greatful

Regards Andy

P.S His records were lost in the London Blitz.