Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

southend and district roll of honour

bernardmcilwaine

Bernard,

Did not know you had an interest in my home town, long way from Manchester but if you need anymore on the men in this book let me know.

Andy

Bernard,

Did not know you had an interest in my home town, long way from Manchester but if you need anymore on the men in this book let me know.

Andy

hiya andy,ilike all ww1 history,the manchesters are my field but i collect rolls of honour and i was given the book by ray westlake,great book as well,nice too meet you,ime new on here so i am just finding my way round,i have thousands of ww1 books but i dare not put them on here they will think i am opening a library,so i just offered what i thought would be helpful,regards bernard

Bernard,

Good to met you also. Agreed a good book, well researched and presented. Most of the bio's in the book are taken from the local newspapers, some being quite famous names locally with either roads, hospital wards etc named after them.

Beware though, collect to many of them and "she who must be obeyed" will start kicking up a stink :D

Andy

Bernard,

Good to met you also. Agreed a good book, well researched and presented. Most of the bio's in the book are taken from the local newspapers, some being quite famous names locally with either roads, hospital wards etc named after them.

Beware though, collect to many of them and "she who must be obeyed" will start kicking up a stink :D

Andy

andy,she encourages me,it was her who bought this pc so i could go further afield,can you help me out with some thing that i dont understand,when i listed the books on this site someone left,arghh as one reply and er er how on another someone has just said i need to edit what am i doing wrong,

Bernard,

Not doing anything wrong, I think Steve put a helpful remark in one of the postings. Just politely hinted that it might be an idea to say that you have the book available and are willing to do look ups for people. Just terminology Bernard, nothing you have done wrong at all.

Andy

Bernard,

Not doing anything wrong, I think Steve put a helpful remark in one of the postings. Just politely hinted that it might be an idea to say that you have the book available and are willing to do look ups for people. Just terminology Bernard, nothing you have done wrong at all.

Andy

andy,steve was the one who left the helpful tip, but the one who has a red dragon for his monica just left those daft words and did not reply when i asked what he meant,will i need to change the terminology on the topic if so HOW,i aint got a clue

Bernard just sent you a personal message re how to edit your postings. In the bottom right of your posting there should be 4 blue box's. Click on the one that says edit, it allows you to rewrite, edit your postingas you see fit, its as simple as that. No need to worry we all started once and had to find our way around.

Andy

Bernard just sent you a personal message re how to edit your postings. In the bottom right of your posting there should be 4 blue box's. Click on the one that says edit, it allows you to rewrite, edit your postingas you see fit, its as simple as that. No need to worry we all started once and had to find our way around.

Andy

thanks andy,should my topic read, 16th manchester regt 1914-15 star ledger look up,and the same with the others.

Andy, Bernard,

Is there any information available on an Alfred Moss D.o.W 11/07/18 whilst serving with the Hertfordshire regiment. CWGC suggest he came from 23, Oakleigh Avenue, Southchurch, Southend.

Any background info. appreciated.

Thanks,

Spud

Andy, Bernard,

Is there any information available on an Alfred Moss D.o.W 11/07/18 whilst serving with the Hertfordshire regiment. CWGC suggest he came from 23, Oakleigh Avenue, Southchurch, Southend.

Any background info. appreciated.

Thanks,

Spud

hiya spud, the info is,alfred robert moss,only son of mr and mrs moss of oakleigh ave,southchurch,born walworth,lived in southend for seven years,worked with his dad in the window cleaning business,enl in the northants regt,39601 in july 1917,went to france the following nov,there he trans to the beds regt then to the herts regt,he died of wounds on 11-7-1918 of wounds received the previous day age 23,buried in st.amand,pas de calais left a widow and one child his officer wrote,he was a splendid fellow,his number in the herts regt was 41279,photo available for £50,only kiddin,his obituary was in the southend standard on the 29-8-1918.best i can do spud,bernard

Hello Bernard,

Thanks very much for the look up and summary. The lad's medals are named to the Northants, and its nice to have a little more background info.

Thanks again,

Spud.