Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

11th (Service) Batt Kings Liverpool

Pete Smith

I'm trying to track down this book/record with a view to purchase or at least obtain copies of certain passages.

"King's Liverpool Regiment

The Record of the 11th Battalion of the King's (Liverpool) Regiment subsequently the 15th Battalion of the Loyal North Lancs. Regiment, Pioneers, 14th Light Division."

London: by R E Thomas, 1920."

Neither Regimental archive appears to have a copy though it is listed in “White's Bibliography of Regimental Histories”.

Have tried Amazon and upteen "military" and 2nd hand bookshops to no avail.

Can anybody help.

Cheers

Pete

Pete

The Imperial War Museum has a copy. It is rare - in the ten years I was at the King's Regiment Museum a copy never came up for sale... I bet someone on the forum has a copy though.

Regards

Simon

Many thanks Simon.

I did a couple of searches on that site but nothing had come up - obviously didn't use the right key words.

Major problem solved.

Cheers

Pete

• 4 months later...

[Hi Pete,

Have you had any look finding that book as I am also interested in the 11th Battalion as my grandfather was in it? We could share information etc.

Tim

• 3 months later...

Tim

Sorry its taken so long to reply - have only just backtracked and found your request. I only have a partial copy of the 11th's diary for 1918 - only Feb and March. I also have extracts from the book I was looking for at the IMW - again only parts that relate to the period my great uncle served with the unit. A more complete copy of the Battalion diary is held in the library of the Maritime Museum, Pier Head in Liverpool and can be viewed and copied by appointment (staff there are very helpful).

If these dates are useful I'll scan the docs and attache them.

Cheers

Pete

I'm trying to track down this book/record with a view to purchase or at least obtain copies of certain passages.

"King's Liverpool Regiment

The Record of the 11th Battalion of the King's (Liverpool) Regiment subsequently the 15th Battalion of the Loyal North Lancs. Regiment, Pioneers, 14th Light Division."

London: by R E Thomas, 1920."

Neither Regimental archive appears to have a copy though it is listed in “White's Bibliography of Regimental Histories”.

Have tried Amazon and upteen "military" and 2nd hand bookshops to no avail.

Can anybody help.

Cheers

Pete

You may have tried them but i got the history of the kings liverpool regiment in the great war 3 Volumes from the naval and military press www.navl-military-press.com tel 01825 749494 hopefully they can put you on the right track.

Good luck delphi

Hi Delphi

Thanks for the advice.

The History unfortunately has limited reference to the 2/5th and the 11th so I've held off trying to obtain a copy.

I was able to copy the relevent passages I needed from the 11th Batts History at the IWM last June along with any sections of the "Kings Liverpool History" relating to both the 2/5th and the 11th. It looks like that 3 Vol history was compiled from the diaries as some of the commentry appears to be direct quotation of the diaries I already had for the 2/5th (copied in L'pool the previous Oct).

The only disapointment I had with the IWM was that I wasn't allowed to photcopy any of the fold out maps contained in any of the books I viewed - otherwise they were great.

Cheers

Peter

• 2 months later...
Tim,

If you give me some details of your grandfather I may be able to help.

Promenade

Hi Promenade,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply to you. My grandfather, Herbert Pulford served with the 11th battalion and wrote his memoirs. I am expanding on them and doing further research. He was wounded we believe early in 1917 and came home, thank God, any help, information or photographs of the 11th battalion Kings Liverpool reg is much appreciated.

Tim

Tim,

If you give me some details of your grandfather I may be able to help.

Promenade

Hi Promenade,

Sorry it has taken so long to reply to you. My grandfather, Herbert Pulford served with the 11th battalion and wrote his memoirs. I am expanding on them and doing further research. He was wounded we believe early in 1917 and came home, thank God, any help, information or photographs of the 11th battalion Kings Liverpool reg is much appreciated.

Tim