Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Basra CWGC Cemetery

QMan9193

I am deploying to Iraq ina few weeks to the South Basra and would like to get involved in its repair and return to its former glory in some small way.

Does anyone know the cemetary location?

Guest Hill 60

QMan9193 - I've 'lifted' this info from the CWGC site. I suppose you don't need to consider the "Visiting Information".

Basra is a town on the west bank of the Shatt-al-Arab, 90 kilometres from its mouth in the Persian Gulf. The cemetery is about 8 kilometres north-west of Basra.

Visiting Information:

THE COMMISSION STRONGLY ADVISES THAT THE FOREIGN AND COMMONWEALTH OFFICE SHOULD BE CONTACTED BEFORE ATTEMPTING TO VISIT IRAQ. Their details are as follows: Travel Advice Unit Consular Division Foreign and Commonwealth Office Old Admiralty Building London SW1A 2AF Tel: 0207 008 0232/0233 Fax: 0207 008 0164 Website: http://www.fco.gov.uk/ Opening Times: Monday to Friday 09.30 - 16.00

Historical Information:

During the First World War, Basra was occupied by the 6th (Poona) Division in November 1914, from which date the town became the base of the Mesopotamian Expeditionary Force. A number of cemeteries were used by the MEF in and around Basra; Makina Masul Old Cemetery was used from December 1914 to October 1916 and the Makina Masul New Extension was begun alongside the old cemetery in August 1917. These two sites, enlarged later when more than 1,000 graves were brought in from other burial grounds, now form Basra War Cemetery. The cemetery now contains 2,551 burials of the First World War, 74 of them unidentified. The headstones marking these graves were removed in 1935 when it was discovered that salts in the soil were causing them to deteriorate. The names of those buried in the graves affected are now recorded on a screen wall. The cemetery also contains the Basra (Tanooma Chinese) Memorial, commemorating 227 unidentified casualties of the Chinese Labour Corps who were attached to the Inland Water Transport during the First World War. A panel in their memory was added to the screen wall when it became evident that their graves in Tanooma Chinese Cemetery could no longer be maintained. During the Second World War, Basra was the scene of fighting from 2 - 7 May 1941 when Iraqi forces were driven from the town, which then became a base for Commonwealth forces. Basra War Cemetery was used once again and after the war, further graves were brought in from other burials grounds in Iraq and Iran. There are now 365 Second World War burials in the cemetery. In addition, there are 37 war graves of other nationalities, many of them Polish, and 16 non-war burials. Directly opposite Basra War Cemetery is the Basra Indian Forces Cemetery containing burials of both wars, and the Basra Cremation Memorial commemorating Indian casualties of the Second World War whose remains were cremated in accordance with their faith.

QMan

You could email CWGC at media@cwgc.org to see what the current situation is.

The Commission has plans for restoration under way already and it would be wise to find out what type of assistance would be most helpful.

During the Second World War, Basra was the scene of fighting from 2 - 7 May 1941 when Iraqi forces were driven from the town ... (snip) ... There are now 365 Second World War burials in the cemetery.

Facinating. I didn't know that we fought Iraq during WW2.

'Q Man' First and foremost best of luck out there and keep your head down!!, if you do manage to pay a visit to any of the CWGC sites out there if you get chance can you give us an update?

Best wishes Neil.

Guest Hill 60
During the Second World War, Basra was the scene of fighting from 2 - 7 May 1941 when Iraqi forces were driven from the town ... (snip) ... There are now 365 Second World War burials in the cemetery.

Facinating. I didn't know that we fought Iraq during WW2.

Hedley - I didn't know until I checked the CWGC site.

I did a search on Google and the only piece relating directly to this episode was this:

The amount of dependence on the British was emphasised by events in 1941, when Iraqi parliamentary leaders refused to back Britain in its war against the Germans. The British landed a force in Iraq and overthrew the elected government and replaced it with a pro-British government and one that was required to declare war on Germany.

I got this piece of info from this website: British Empire

I am not sure what the policy will be for visiting these CWGC Cemeteries due to the present 'climate' out in Iraq, but I know the US Marine Corps have been involved in the repair of several cemeteries around Baghdad and Kut. Which must be applauded. IMHO

There is an Iraqi cemetery warden who has attempted to keep the cemeteries in a reasonable state prior to their decline, hopefully he will receive some reward for his efforts. Unfortunately he had to compete against the regime and weather which made his 'mission' very difficult. IMHO.

Hopefully I can atleast get to the Basra Memorial and pay my respects. As my Grandfather's Regiment served in Mesopotamia during the Great War in 2 Bn Royal West Kent Regt.

There was an earlier thread mentioning the actions of the loyal guardian in Iraq.

I spoke to CWGC about him and they say that he is the son-in-law of their official warden. However, they are most grateful and hope to thank him in a suitable manner at some point.

The British landed a force in Iraq and overthrew the elected government and replaced it with a pro-British government and one that was required to declare war on Germany.

Right. Lee, does it say if we charged the Iraqis for the cost of ammunition expended in bringing them to heel or for the cost of quartering the troops?

Another piece of 'secret' history.

I am deploying to Iraq ina few weeks to the South Basra and would like to get involved in its repair and return to its former glory in some small way.

My hats off to members of the US Armed Forces presently serving in Iraq. Be safe, and good luck to you and all your countrymen.

Best wishes

David

Canada

My hats off to members of the US Armed Forces presently serving in Iraq. Be safe, and good luck to you and all your countrymen.

Best wishes

David

Canada

Thanks for the post, but I am Royal Army Medical Corps not American.

A member of the Western Front Association is serving at Almarah, Iraq, with 1/Para. He has visited the Amarah CWGC cemetery and has provided the WFA journal Stand To! with a detailed update and photographs. These will be published in the September issue of Stand To! Please visit www.westernfrontassociation.com for details on joining the Association.

Ann Clayton, Editor, Stand To!

Guest cwgcmsj

The Commonwealth War Graves Commission has been in touch with a number of serving Units and individuals in Iraq regarding what work can be done in the short term. The Director General recently visited the British Headquaters in Basra for disscussions on the same subject.

A five year plan has been produced to fund and perform a full renovation of all the sites and work on this will commence as soon as conditions allow. In the meantime the Commission is grateful for any help in keeping the cemeteries tidy and secure that can be given.

Some work has been possible in the last two years but most cemeteries have not received any organised maintenance since before the Gulf War. We hope that conditions will emerge in the near future where the Commission will be able to retore the cemeteries and memorials to the standards for which it is widely known.

Mike Johnson

Director Outer Area CWGC

Guest Hill 60
Right. Lee, does it say if we charged the Iraqis for the cost of ammunition expended in bringing them to heel or for the cost of quartering the troops?

Probably both :lol: