Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cecil Withers

stevew

I've been away for a few days, and haven't been on the forum, so apologies if this has been mentioned (I had a quick look and couldn't find anything). But Cecil Withers passed away on 30th April. an article appeared in The Times last Saturday

post-906-1115155733.jpg

RIP Cecil, you have answered the last roll call, & passed to higher service........

By the way, the article mentions that there about a dozen veterans left, last November there were 19, after the death of the last Medical Officer (apologies for forgetting his name), can anyone provide details of any veterans who passed away since, as i have seen no articles about them.....

Cheers

Mark

RIP Cecil, you have answered the last roll call, & passed to higher service........

By the way, the article mentions that there about a dozen veterans left, last November there were 19, after the death of the last Medical Officer (apologies for forgetting his name), can anyone provide details of any veterans who passed away since, as i have seen no articles about them.....

Cheers

Mark

Acording to my records there are now only 12 British WWI veterans still alive;

Henry Allingham, aged 108.

Alfred Anderton, aged 108.

Ken Cummins, aged 104.

William Elder, aged 107.

Alfred Finnigan, aged 108.

Harold Lawton, aged 105.

Albert "Smiler" Marshall, aged 108.

Harry Newcombe, aged 104.

Harry Patch, aged 106.

George Rice, aged 107.

William Roberts, aged 104.

William Stone, aged 104.

One other veteran, Stephen Butcher, who served with the Royal Navy, is believed still to be alive and living in the UK. Little is known about him.

Here are the last 11 to rejoin their regiments.

George Charles, aged 104.

Bert Clark, aged 104.

Albert Dye, Died 7th September 2004 aged 107.

George Hardy, aged 105.

Tom Kirk, Died 9th November 2004 aged 105.

Fred Lloyd, Died 28th April 2005 aged 106.

Jack Obourne, aged 104.

Ted Rayns, aged 105.

Charles Watson, Died 1st January 2005 aged 104.

Percy Wilson, aged 105.

Cecil Withers, Died 21st April 2005 aged 106.

Can anyone please fill in the actual dates these died?

Pete

Pete

Many thanks for the info, I can now see that it was Tom Kirk, who served in the Royal Navy as a medical officer, who was the laste veterans whose passing I had read of.

Let us all wish those surviving veterans the very best of health & quality of life.

Cheers

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

What was the name of the scottish veteran who appeared many times on tv to recollect his memories of the Somme. He always told the same story about advancing across No Mans Land with his friend to his right disappearing, then his friend to the left.

Patrick

Patrick,

this is awful, i met him a few times and for the life i can remember his name although his face i can see,

I hope someone is able to bring his name back for us.

Mandy

Was it Robbie Burns? Or Bill Hay?

? David ..........

is the man i'm thinking of

Mandy

Hi All,

Article taken from newspaper:

'Oldest man' Alfred dies at 108

Alfred Finnigan needed a cataract operation at age 106

A World War I veteran, who is believed to have been the oldest man in Wales, has died at the age of 108.

Alfred Finnigan, who lived in Carmarthenshire, died in hospital on Wednesday after a short illness.

Mr Finnigan, of Llanglydwen, served with the Royal Horse Artillery and was awarded the legion of honour from the French government for his war service.

In 2002, he was told he would have to wait six months for cataract surgery, but his NHS appointment was speeded up.

When his plight became known thanks to the BBC, public and media pressure meant Carmarthenshire NHS Trust brought the procedure forward.

He was very anti war - he used to say 'it was a ridiculous war and a lot of my friends died'

Niece Kathy Page

The operation was in time for the centenarian, who was the lead driver in a six-horse gun team during the 1914-18 war, to read the telegram from the Queen marking his 107th birthday.

Mr Finnigan was born in Deptford in London but had lived in Wales with his niece Kathy Page and her husband Colin for nine years.

'Anti-war'

Ms Page said: "I was very fond of him. He was a Victorian gentleman.

"He was cantankerous at times but he was always very polite to me. He was quite happy with me because I did what he expected me, a woman, to do, to feed him.

"He loved nature, he loved flowers. I took his suits to the undertakers and there was pile of biscuits in his pockets which he used to give to the dogs."

She said her uncle thought World War I was a "stupid" conflict and he only talked about it when asked.

"He was very anti-war. He used to say 'it was a ridiculous war and a lot of my friends died'.

Cremation

"He only spoke about it when he was asked by interviewers. He hated the fact that horses got injured too."

Ms Page said her uncle had wanted to die recently: "He wasn't miserable or gloomy but he'd had enough."

Social security in Wales has no record of anyone older than Mr Finnegan in the country. His funeral service is held at Narberth crematorium on Wednesday, 18 May.

Regards,

Donna.

R.I.P. Alfred. He joins his comrades now.

PAUL J