Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pal's Regiment?

Peter Beckett

Was the 22nd classed as a Pal's Regiment? I am trying to fathom out why my Grandfather went all the way from Nelson, Lancs to Manchester to join up, when there were Pal's closer to home ie, Burnley, Accrington.

Yes it was Peter. They were the 7th City Battalion. You can see more about them and their war service by going to The Long, Long Trail at www.1914-1918.net. Click on Tommies, then on Infantry, then Manchesters.

Chris,

Thank you very much. Guess it will always be a mystery, possibly he had friends there.

Peter,

If you supply me with your grandfather's name (and number if you can), I'll see if he was an original member of this battalion and can possibly let you have a platoon photo (from the "Book of Honour").

If he wasn't an original member, he could have been drafted into this unit as a replacement.Many were, from all over the country, (especially after the start of the Somme battle) so it's not unusual to find people from different areas in a "Pals" battalion (such as 17383 Pte Cornelius Lane in the "Accrington Pals" (11/E.Lancs.) who hailed from Islington). Generally speaking, most of the "original" Manchester Pals did actually come from the Manchester area.

Dave.

Dave,

William Leyland 20237 enlisted Manchester 11 Nov 1914. First overseas date 11 Nov 1915.

Fantastic,

Thank you B)

Dave,

according to some info from my Aunt (his surving daughter aged 82) he was in the 4th Platoon, A Company, 22nd Bn, Manchesters

Peter.

He was indeed an original "Pal". You're Aunt is spot on with his unit (IV Plat./A Coy) and he appears on his platoon photo. Do you want me to try to post the photo (and platoon listing) here, or would you rather I emailed it to you?

Dave.

PS In the Book of Honour, they've (mis) spelled his surname "Layland".

Dave,

I fly out on Monday 7th for UK. Could you email it to me? If it is not too expensive, could you also send it to me at this address.

P Beckett

C/O 75 Elmfield,

Gillingham, ME6BN

Dave, just thinking aloud.

Would you be able to check the Roll of Honour for any men, who came from Nelson, in the same platoon. Does the Roll also have addresses for the men? If so, I know where William was living at the time. Just around the corner from where I was born.

Dave,

I fly out on Monday 7th for UK. Could you email it to me? If it is not too expensive, could you also send it to me at this address.

P Beckett

C/O 75 Elmfield,

Gillingham, ME6BN

Will do Peter.

Could you send me an email so I have your email address, please? (I don't think I can send images via this site).I'll also print off a photo quality print and send it to the address you specified some time throughout the week.

Unfortunately, the roll doesn't contain addresses, so I'm afraid that's a dead end. However (bit of a coincedence) , I happen to work (for my sins!!!) in Nelson (Lomeshaye actually - remember it ?) so I'll have a look at the AVL in Nelson library one day next week if you want, and see what I can find.

Email me as many details as you can, and I'll see what I can add.

Dave. :)