Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Captain F M F WEST VC

cockney tone

Ladies & Gents,

I have recently required a number of prints signed by Captain F M F WEST VC and his observer Lt J HASLAM.

The prints state that the VC was awarded following action on the 10th August 1918, could anybody out there tell me what he did to earn his VC please? any info would be greatfully recieved,

Thanking you in anticipation,

Regards,

Scottie.

Scottie

Captain Ferdinand Maurice Felix West and his observer, Lt J A G 'Alec' Haslam, were flying AWFK 8 C8602 on 10 August 1918 in a mission to suport tanks moving up to Boye. They were attacked by enemy fighters and Capt West was badly wounded in the foot. Despite the wound, he continued with his mission, and the AW was attacked again, with Capt West receiving five wounds in the left leg, one of which shattered his femur and cut the femoral artery. Capt West wedged his leg away from the rudder and made a tourniquet from his clothing - he kept flying, though intermittently passing out.

The AW force landed near Canadian troops, and Capt West insisted on reporting enemy troop positions before receving treatment.

Capt West died in 1988, the last Great War VC survivor.

The machine used in the above action was C8602 and not C8594, as shown in the common autographed print - this machine was written off after a crash on 24 April. There's another error in the print caption, as it refers to "No 8 Squadron RFC" when it should be No 8 Squadron RAF.

I hope this helps.

Gareth

Gareth,

thank you very much for your fast & full reply, it means a lot more learning the story behind the picture,

Regards,

Scottie.

• 3 weeks later...

Scottie,,

what do you intend to retail the prints at?

Kerry

Scottie,,

what do you intend to retail the prints at?

Kerry

Kerry,

It was not my intention to try to sell them via this forum (I don't know if it is allowed and would not want to break any forum rules.

I had hoped to make my fortune with them and retire on the profits, however I understand there may in fact be a few of these around. If you were interested I would wish £20 a print please, possibly you should e-mail me direct if you were interested,

regards,

Scottie.