Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French

Landsturm

I know there are some people with good access to French order-of-battles and campaign maps, so i once again ask for your help;

In September-November 1918, French IVéme Armee attacked on the left-side of the American First Army during the Meuse-Argonne campaign. I have enough maps showing me the American units in the area. Since I by myself have poor access to the French order-of-battles at the time, I`ll ask you; What French divisions went to fight on the extreme-right of the French IV Army`s region in late October or early November? I`d also like to find out the compositions (order-of-battle) of these divisions (most important infanterie-regiments and chasseur-batallions).

I also know that by 5th November, the leading US units reached the hills overlooking Sedan. The 1st (US) Army boundary was ordered to be shifted to the east to allow the French (IV Army) the honour of capturing Sedan (which was a scene of French defeat in 1870). What units got this honour?

I’m afraid that I cannot help with which unit held the far right of the French IV Army, but the order of battle gives an indication of where the units were engaged during The battle of Chesne ( 1-6 Nov 1918). Notable events in this offensive were the taking of the Alleux plateau and the breaching of the Ardennes Canal line.

The US Army replaced the French II Army on the right of the IV Army on 22/9/18.

The IV Army consisted of the 9th, 11th, 14th and 39th Army Corps. The 11 Army Corps was not actively engaged in this battle.

9CA consisted of 42DI, 40DI, 120DI with 74DI upto 2/11 and 48DI after 5/11:

40DIis probably of most interest to your questions. It was engaged at Vouziers and Conde les Vouziers, up to 5/11, when it took part in the push towards Sedan. It ended the war in Sedan. It had the 150th, 161st and 251st RI, and a bttn of pioneers from 145th RIT

42nd DI was engaged at Vouziers, Chestres, Quatre Champs andNorval. It contained 94th nad 332nd RI and 8th and 16th BCP. Pioneers bttn was 103RIT.

120th DI took the Alleux plateau on 3/11 and went on to the push towards the Meuse. It had the 38th,86th and 408th RI and pioneers bttn was 132RIT

74th DI was in reserve in the fighting for Boult aux bois. 230th and299th RI, 5th Tir de marche and pioneers 101stRIT.

48th DI. In reserve. 1st Zou de marche,13th Tir de marche, 98thRI pioneers 78thRIT.

14CA consisted of 22ndDI,163rdDI and 124thDI.

22nd DI had 64th,93rd and 137th RI and 97thRIT pioneers. No details of the actions are given, although it is shown as engaged in he battle and then towards the Meuse.

163rd DI attacked Voncq and Terron sur Aisne, crossing the Aisne at Semuy on 2/11 and then to the Meuse. 53rd,142th and 415th RI and 104th RIT pioneers.

124th DI breached the Aisne and attacked the heights at Voncq, being rested from 4/11. It contained the 101st,124th and 130th RI and 104th RIT pioneers.

14th DI was constantly in reserve with 35th,44th and 60th RI and 8th RIT pioneers

38CA had 1stDCP (Dismounted Cavalry Divison) and 71stDI ( with 74thDI from 3/11)

71stDI was engaged only on 4-5/11, and contained 217th,221st and 358thRI and 131stRIT pioneers..

1st DCP were engaged up to 3/11 between Termes and east of Olizy. It contained 4th,9th and 11th Cuirrassers and 65thRIT pioneers.

There is a short Note on te actions of 4th November in the british OH, 1918 vol5, p489-90. This gives the 9th CA as being on the extreme right of the French IV Army ( then XIV and XI CA). Quoting the French OH ‘On 4th Novem,ber, the IX and XIV Corp began to advance again [that is, ther XI Corps, on the left, made no attempt to move], but the enemy infantry and artillery reacted vigorously, rendering any movement of the 120th (IX), 163rd and 122nd (XIV) Divisions impossible. On the right the 40th Division (IX) was unable to go beyond Basancourt Farm and canal.’

It goes on to say that the maps show the farm taken on 3/11 and the canal to be 1000 yds further ahead on the left wing. The Americans were describes as ‘Slightly in advance’ of the French.

Hope that is of some help to you

Adam