Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Walter Bunn

paul guthrie

I recently saw the grave of 6913 Pte. Walter Edward Bunn 1st Norfolks at Buzancy Cemetery, that's in the Aisne region 7 ks S of Soissons. CWGC & SDGW have him KIA August 24 1914.

The British Army was still near Mons at that time and I don't think the Germans had made it this far by then either.

Yes there are men there consolidated from elsewhere but what in the world is he doing buried there? Or better put, why was he buried there?

A bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken to the winner. :lol:

I am bringing this strange burial back up. I was well aware when I asked the question I probably would not get an answer. I emailed Terry Denham, our burials expert, but am not sure he got it cause I have no answer, am posting again in case he or anyone has a comment, thanks.

Hello

This cemetery contains some other graves of the Norfolk regiment dated from sept 1914.

I suppose there was a mistake writting the date: the 09 was transformed in 08 somewhere.

Regards

Buzancy Military Cemetery was used as a concentration cemetery after the war and many bodies were moved there from other locations.

Pte Bunn is not listed in the original CWGC register for the cemetery (published 1929) and so was a later addition to the cemetery. I have no record as to where this burial came from but you have to remember that concentration burials often were moved great distances - especially in the 1930s. They were moved to 'open' cemeteries which were often some distance away from the original burial location.

I didn't get an email from you, Paul. :huh:

Thanks all. Terry I thought perhaps you did not since you have always replied. I believe the DOD is correct since SDGW has the same date. I think his batallion was in Belgium then. The original cemetery register does prove he was not a war burial there.

It's not surprising there are other Norfolks there from September, it's certain they were in action on the move to the Aisne.

Paul

Perhaps no-one wants to run the risk of winning the prize  :D

John

One bucket of Kentucky Fried Chicken to the winner, two buckets to who-ever comes second. Three buckets for...... :D

You know Kentucky Fried Chicken is lousy! It was really good years ago but no more! They are selling an amazing amount in China so I bought some stock but will not eat it. Now Popeye's, that's good stuff! :)

The Colonel himself years ago used to come see his podiatrist whose office was in the same building as mine. Grumpy old **** he was too!

Paul,

The 1st Norfolks were indeed in the Battle of Mons and on 24th August were in the vicinity of Elouges with their right flank against the Elouges – Quievrain railway line. On that day they had 8 officers and about 250 Other ranks killed, missing or wounded. (Source: Unit History)

Surely there are other Norfolks buried with him?

Roy

I saw no others killed at about that time buried in Buzancy Roy. I have no idea how to get SDGW or CWGC to tell us where most of these men killed that day are buried but bet Terry does.

With no map with me will hazard a guess it's no less than 100Ks from Mons to Buzancy and I am still surprised he's buried so far from where he fell and was 1st buried.

Paul,

SDGW lists (only) 51 1st Norfolks died that day, which leaves circa 200 wounded or missing.

Over to Terry ........

Thanks all. Terry I thought perhaps you did not since you have always replied. I believe the DOD is correct since SDGW has the same date. I think his batallion was in Belgium then. The original cemetery register does prove he was not a war burial there.

It's not surprising there are other Norfolks there from September, it's certain they were in action on the move to the Aisne.

Hello

I know it is not suprising to find Norfolks there from September,

just after the Marne battle. Then it may explain easily why he was buried there.

It is why I suggested there was at the very beginning an error in the date.

I do not know why the fact that SDGW and CWGC says the same thing

is a proof .

Was the DOD collected differently ?

I remember there was some doubts about this irish boy aged 14 buried

near Ypres.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tanneguy.desplanqu...reg%20jeune.jpg

Some says it is a mistake : the age 19 became 14. Should it be a similar error there ?

I agree that the fact he was not buried there in 1929 complicates the situation.

So mystery still there... keep the chicken alive :rolleyes:

I found also a grave with a strange date in Peronne cemetery : 18 august 1914

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tanneguy.desplanqu...mier%20mort.jpg

I could imagine there was not far one of the first british military "airport".

Regards

You know Kentucky Fried Chicken is lousy! It was really good years ago but no more! They are selling an amazing amount in China so I bought some stock but will not eat it. Now Popeye's, that's good stuff! :)

The Colonel himself years ago used to come see his podiatrist whose office was in the same building as mine. Grumpy old **** he was too!

THINK OF ALL THE FAT IN K-Festy (an Oz saying)...YUCK.

Robbie :(

I found also a grave with a strange date in Peronne cemetery : 18 august 1914

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/tanneguy.desplanqu...mier%20mort.jpg

I could imagine there was not far one of the first british military "airport".

Regards

Well, if officialdom can place an RAF officers cap badge on the grave of a RFC NCO killed in 1914 whats a month either way for a Norfolk?