Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Gretna in WW1

BeppoSapone

Over the weekend I picked up this little postcard for the sum of 20p. From the wording of the piece of verse it seemed as if women from 'all over' were working in Gretna during WW1.

I did a little "Googling" and came up with this:

http://www.scienceandsociety.co.uk/results...ag=2&imagepos=2

Interestingly, it seems as if one of the ‘Canaries' (munitions girls) sent the card to an Australian soldier in France. I can not read his name and am just going to post the other side of this card in "soldiers" - in case anyone else can.

I wonder what story this card could tell?

post-1110-1115131428.jpg

Gretna isn't that big a place, so it's not surprising that the workforce came from far and wide, especially in times of shortage. they appeared to have played as hard as they worked. There were about 25000 incomers to the muntions factory, some of who lived in Carlisle, some in camps, built specially.

The famous 'State Management' of the pubs in Carlisle was mainly brought in , by the Government, no less, to stop munitions workers over indulging in drinking on their higher wages. This strictly cut opening hours for pubs and forbade such things as "treating" , (buying others a drink)

For further info seeState Management

It lasted until 1971 and the passing of it was actually mourned by the older pub goer( too young myself- though as it kept prices down I wouldn't have complained)

Check out the website www.devilsporridge.co.uk for more info on the munitions factory near Gretna.

Regards David