Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Discharge Papers Royal Navy

AnnD

Are there any discharge papers kept anywhere for people that were in the Royal Navy c1907-1918 or did each individual receive their discharge papers on leaving the service?

Anne,

The service record normally shows discharge. The man himself would have his own record of service upon which would be shown his discharge. I believe this to be correct but perhaps our other chums would illuminate this more accurately.

Roop

Anne,

The service record normally shows discharge. The man himself would have his own record of service upon which would be shown his discharge. I believe this to be correct but perhaps our other chums would illuminate this more accurately.

Roop

Your quite right Anne needs the service record, if she doesnt already have it. There is no additional discharge papers.

Thankyou to you both for that answer to my question.

Trouble is I am still searching for my grandfathers service record,without his service number it is proving very difficult indeed.

People have been searching for me at the NA but nothing has come to light yet.

Just thought if there was a discharge list or something that might be my next step.

Thank you anyway.

Ann there is a way to search on surname, which I presume is what yr friends have done, but I have personally found this less than easy/complete. Also the service papers are only available for service prior to 1929 just in case you wasnt aware.

I have never tried searching Naval medal roles but dependant on when yr father served, this may be another route to find his all important service number.

Good luck!

Thanks Jonathan,

I can,t see the light at the end of the tunnel yet !! His service papers must be there somewhere !! I will keep searching and yes he did serve before 1929, at a guess I would possibly say 1907-1918

Many thanks

Ann