Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

flying accident in France

Jim Strawbridge

I am researching Marion Overend who was from Peterborough, Canada and enrolled with the US Army Nursing Service. She served at No.3 Base Hospital (which I believe was near the 3rd Aviation Instruction Center, near Issoudun). Marion was killed in an "aeroplane accident" (official cause of death) on June 16th, 1918. She was originally buried in US Army Cemetery #32, AEF, 3rd Aviation Instruction Center, Grave #36. At the end of the war she was reinterred to St. Mihiel Plot A, Row 6, Grave 14. What I am trying to find out is why a nurse should have been involved in a flying accident. Was she on a joy ride with a boy friend and something went wrong? Was she being ferried somewhere on official business? Was there some other explaination. And does anyone know the cause of the crash and other casualties from it ?

Prior Thread

Hi Jim,

You're not the only one interested in this woman.

My offer of contacting the NY archives (if they have anything) stands.

Take care,

Neil

The Toronto Star reported her death 26 June 1918

Peterboro Nurse Killed

Nurse Marion L. Overend Dies of Airplane Accident - Attached to American Corp.

Peterboro, Ont. June 26 - Mrs L.J. Picard, 497 Park Street, received word today that her sister, Nursing Sister Marion Overend, of the hospital staff, connected with the 3rd US Aerial Squadron, France, had been killed on June 16th, in an aeroplane accident.

Miss Overend left New York in February with her sister, Nursing Sister May Overend, both of whom graduates of Mount Sinai Hospital, were attached to the American Hospital Corps. In a letter received by Mrs Picard only yesterday from Miss Marion Overend, she spoke enthusiastically of her life with the aerial camp hospital.

--------------

Not much help, but better than nothing!

Steve

Hello Neil, I hijacked Ryan's thread as he had placed it under "women in the Great War" and I thought that placing it under "the war in the air" it may be seen by aviation enthusiasts who may not be looking in all of the folders. Marion Overend died in an aeroplane accident. But this could be through a crash when being taken for a joy ride, happened to be on the ground near to where a plane crashed, in a hanger which caught on fire, being ferried on official business somewhere, etc. What both I amd Ryan are trying to do is to discover more about the event. So far I have been unable to find a pilot who died on the same day around the same place. A mystery yet to be unfolded.