Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P.U.O.

steve140968

Can anyone please tell me whether 'pyrexia' can be attributed to exposure to gas ? My grandfather was taken by field ambulance suffering from 'PUO' on the 25/2/1917 . According to his battalions war diary this was the day his battalion was relieved from the line at Sailly-Saillisel after fighting . He was away from his battalion for around about 1 month . I seem to remember mention of him having been gassed , but his record does not suggest another likely time this could have happened . Any other suggestions would be most welcome , thanks . Steve . :blink:

I would say no - pyrexia means fever. Unidentified gas cases would be be described as NYD (G) - Not Yet Diagnosed (Gas).

Regards

Simon

Can anyone please tell me whether 'pyrexia' can be attributed to exposure to gas ? My grandfather was taken by field ambulance suffering from 'PUO' on the 25/2/1917 . According to his battalions war diary this was the day his battalion was relieved from the line at Sailly-Saillisel after fighting . He was away from his battalion for around about 1 month . I seem to remember mention of him having been gassed , but his record does not suggest another likely time this could have happened . Any other suggestions would be most welcome , thanks . Steve . :blink:

If you search this forum with "Pyrexia" there was a long discussion on its meaning in a fairly recent series of postings.

Thanks guys . An interesting thread Harry , i must remember to 'search the forum'.

Steve . ;)

Can anyone please tell me whether 'pyrexia' can be attributed to exposure to gas ?

Steve

Not directly. Pyrexia would most often signal infection. Given that gas may damage the lungs and other tissues, such as the skin with Mustard gas, then infection can set in later. Pneumonia, for example, if the lungs are damaged. In these cases, however, it would be likely that the doctor would have diagnosed the cause of infection. Pyrexia as a label is not really a diagnosis as such, so this would mean that the doctors felt he had an infection but did not know the cause.

Robert

Thanks Robert , i think i'm clutching at straws . However one thing just occured to me , his lung trouble in later life and talk of being gassed could have been true . To have been mentioned in his records i would assume that he would have had to have been a casualty . Could he therefore have been exposed to gas , but not enough to have mean't that he needed medical treatment , therefore no mention in his record ? Cheers , Steve . ;)

Yes Steve, that is possible. If he had been a smoker, then this was far more likely to have caused lung problems.

Robert

;) Many thanks Robert , Steve .