Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

69th & 87th FIELD AMBULANCE

steve140968

Can anyone please tell me the whereabouts of 69 field ambulance on the 25/2/1917 and 87 field ambulance on the 24/4/1917 ? Many thanks . Steve . :unsure:

69 FA was in 23rd Division - had been in the Line since September 1916 in the Martinpuich area. On 25th feby, interestingly, they were at last relieved (by 38th Divn), and Div Hq had opened in St Omer, so I assume the FA was in that area.

87 FA were part of 29th Divn. On 24/4/17, the Divn (and Bde) was involved in the Arras battle, at Monchy. The fighting was very heavy, with proportionate casualties, so my guess is that 87 FA were quite busy!

Many thanks Steven , 'BULLSEYE' on 87 FA , as my grandfather was taken by what i thought was 87 FA after being wounded at Monchy , his battalion was part of the 29th division . The information i have is from a copy of his casualty form , which unfortunately is not very clear . He was taken by what appeared to be 69 FA on the 25/2/1917 around Sailly-Saillisel , but i'm assuming that his battalion was also part of the 29th division on this date . Is it possible that he could have been taken by a FA attatched to another division as Martinpuich seems to be not a million miles from Sailly-saillisel ? Cheers , Steve . ;)

Many thanks Steven , 'BULLSEYE' on 87 FA , as my grandfather was taken by what i thought was 87 FA after being wounded at Monchy , his battalion was part of the 29th division . The information i have is from a copy of his casualty form , which unfortunately is not very clear . He was taken by what appeared to be 69 FA on the 25/2/1917 around Sailly-Saillisel , but i'm assuming that his battalion was also part of the 29th division on this date . Is it possible that he could have been taken by a FA attatched to another division as Martinpuich seems to be not a million miles from Sailly-saillisel ? Cheers , Steve . ;)

Could have been 89th, of course. Do you know your grandfather's battalion? Send me a PM and I'll see what I can find, as I have both the 29th and 23rd Divnl histories, so will happily have a browse for you. regards, Steven

;) Many thanks Steven , i have PM'ed you .

Regards ,

Steve .