Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A Coldstreamer's Medals in the USA?

Fred W

My uncle by marriage James Charles Worrell was in the Colsdtream Guards from Sept 194 to March 1919. He was awarded MM, 1914-15 Star, British War Medal and Victory Medal. His wife, my aunt, died in 1918. I have just learnt that he married again in 1920 and on 28 July 1923 they sailed from Liverpool to New York on the SS Carminthia, to stay with his Father-in Law at Bridgeport, Conn. Sometime later he travelled to Los Angeles, since the 1930 census has him in LA employed as a film developer, and living in Beverley Hills Township. He died in LA on 12 Jan 1957, age 66 years. His wife died in LA on 15 Feb 1975, age 91years. I am fairly sure they had no children. Assuming he took his medals with him to the USA, can anyone suggest how I could go about trying to locate them?

Fred

Wow.. this sounds challenging, but not impossible. I would start with relatives he remained in contact with either in the US or 'at home'. See if anyone remebers anything. Of course follow those leads if any.

If nothing else comes up you could see where his will was executed, presumably Beverly Hills and see if he gave the medals to anyone at that point. You might do the same with her will.

Hope this helps. It sounds like there is a lot of work ahead of you. Andy

There is also the possibility that he didn’t take the medals with him. As he was emigrating he might have sold or pawned his medals to get extra cash for starting their new life. Also, if he did take them, he could have sold or pawned them in the USA for the same reason.

It is a distinct possibilty he sold them here before he went. If he did I don't give myself much chance of finding them unless a member of the forum gets lucky for me.

I have written to the Los Angeles Times to see if their readers can help. Also I am trying to find if he left a will.

I don't feel very lucky. Still it took me almost 12 months for someone to answer my request on Roots Chat for info on his possible whereabouts, so I suppose you never know. Here's hoping.

Fred