Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visits to Switzerland

Graham-McAdam

I have just retired from teaching at Lincoln Christ's Hospital School (but will keep in touch with their new archive room, to carry on my Lincoln School Memorial research). I have a new summer job with a travel firm, and will soon be off to Switzerland for a few trips.

Can anyone let me know if there are any Great War things to see in Luzern or Locarno (presumably they have a memorial to The Treaty)?

I know that Vevey has a considerable CWGC cemetery with men of both wars (mainly ex-patriated POWs from Germany?) and should be able to take photos in mid July.

Let me know if you'd like anything (photos, that is, not chocolate).

Graham

Graham

Sorry to hear you have retired ( valuable member of staff and all that)but pleased for you. Cannot help at all with your query but wish you well in your new venture. Fourth Northern Hospital will miss you.

Roop

Hello

If you are going to Vevey cemetery It would be nice if you could take a photo

of following headstones.

LONGBOTHAM, CYRIL MURGATROYD

Initials: C M

Nationality: Indian

Regiment: 72nd Punjabis

Unit Text: 1st Bn.

Date of Death: 12/01/1920

Additional information: Son of Lewis Henry and Edith Annie Longbotham, of The Gables, Halifax, Yorks.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: 58.

Cemetery: VEVEY (ST. MARTIN'S) CEMETERY

GEORGHIOU, ANDREAS

Initials: A

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Cyprus Regiment

Date of Death: 25/12/1944

Service No: CY/2447

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Grave 121.

Cemetery: VEVEY (ST. MARTIN'S) CEMETERY

Kin regards :)

Blimey, you don't look old enough to be retired! I'd be interested to know if there are any memorials to the 'Locarno Honeymoon' as my wife has been muttering about going to the Swiss/Italian lakes recently.

Mark(only 16 years to go-or 36 if the pensions' black hole gets worse) Hone

Thanks for the kind remarks, chaps - Mark, I'm surprised you remembered from our five min. at the Menin Gate two Easters ago (of course, I remember you!). I don't get the line about the Locarno Honeymoon. Can it be the years before AH and the 3rd Reich, sir?

Roop, its really creepy that you've changed your whole image since the first version of the post above - must be the red star going to the brain.

I won't be back from Vevey till mid June, TD60, so don't hold your breath.

I would like to be asked to take more than two pictures. Anybody there?

Graham

Hi Graham

Thanks for your kind offer. If you get the chance I would be grateful for a photo of the headstone of 27414 Private J Wishart, 15th Battaltion, Canadian Infantry. His grave reference number is 3.

Thanks very much

Steve

• 1 month later...

TD60 & stevem

I'm just back from Vevey where I took excellent photos for you of the beautiful cemetery overlooked by pines and snowy mountains. Later that week, unfortunately, my handbag, with camera, phone, passport was nicked from the hotel room where I was having breakfast. The consul (lovely ex-Scots woman) who replaced my passport is also responsible for the CWGC site and offered to organise a new set of photos for me. I may do that, or may just keep your requests for next time I go (next summer, I hope). I'll decide when I've stopped being furious.

St Martin's church on the site has the grave of the guy (name gone, I fear - Langdon??) who signed the death warrant of Charles I. When C II arrived he fled with friends to Switzerland and spent his last decades in Vevey, lucky chap, rather than becoming chunks of beef on London Bridge.

An interesting place.

TD60 & stevem

Later that week, unfortunately, my handbag, with camera, phone, passport was nicked from the hotel room where I was having breakfast. The consul (lovely ex-Scots woman) who replaced my passport is also responsible for the CWGC site and offered to organise a new set of photos for me. I may do that, or may just keep your requests for next time I go (next summer, I hope). I'll decide when I've stopped being furious.

I am very sorry to read those sad event. :angry:

some years ago, a thief stole my photo camera in my car breaking one of the windows. I was very disappointed not only because of car damage and

camera but surely because the photos in it were the very first

photos of one of my daughters. I have never seen them.

I was really furious !

I hope this did not create too much problems for you ...

Regards

I'm really sorry hear about your lost possessions. I hope it didnt spoil your trip too much. Vevey and the cemetery sound like interesting places.

Regards

Steve

• 6 months later...

Just read your post. I am an ex-pupil of yours with a mutual fascination with the great war. All the best for your retirement.

Tim Priestley (LCHS 1983-1990)