Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Suffolk Regiment

Guest Ian

I have been researching my Grandfathers army career during the Great War,and have so far discovered that he enlisted in the Suffolk Regiment, and some time possibly in early 1918 he was transfered to the Machine Gun Corp.

What i would like to find out is the date he enlisted in the Suffolk regiment and the battalion he served in.

Could anybody tell me if i could work this out by his army service number which was 8869.

If anybody could help me with any information regarding this matter it would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Ian.

For the Suffolks that looks like a regular army number - have you had his Medal Index Card checked at the PRO? This would verify his medals, and date of overseas service.

If I recall correctly on the old WFA forum someone said that at the beginning of the war Battalions were allocated a block of numbers.

My Fathers number was a four figure one he was neither a Regular,

Reservist or a Territorial although he joined/sent to what was a Territorial Battalion, the 5th Sherwood Foresters 1914.

A man listed on our War Memorial Aubrey Crawford Sibbring KIA on the

1st May 1917, Pte. 2nd Suffolk Regiment had the number 19009.

• 3 weeks later...

Ian,

I know it's a lot of work but the best method I have found re enlistment dates and numbers are the registers of the Silver War Badge at the PRO. These books are not produced regimentally but for a recruiting district. The one I am interested in, for example, covers the Warwicks, Gloucesters and Worcesters (plus a couple of others).

These books give details of battalion, date of discharge and, more importantly, date of enlistment.

Although your relative was not discharged, some of his colleagues, with similar numbers, would have been.

Rob