Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Death plaques

AOK4

Hello,

I would like to know if the British only had death plaques in WW1 or if they had them in WW2 too.

Regards,

Jan

Guest Ian Bowbrick

Only WW1.

But the next of kin did get a similar 'letter' from George VI as relatives got from George V in WW1

Ian

:)

Thanks Ian,

I've never seen or read such a letter. Is there one to be found somewhere on the internet?

I've got several similar things from the German side though. Every state had its own kind of "honorary diploma" to hang on the wall in memory of the fallen. This picture was accompanied by a (copied) letter from the state war minister. I even have one complete set with even a letter from the regimental commander and a picture of the grave. Unfortunately all these things are a bit too big to scan and post, but I'll see if I can find a picture of one.

Regards,

Jan

After World War Two, the Canadian government issued what is known as the "Birks Plaque" to families of fallen soldiers. The plaques are very small, and narrow, approx 2 inches long and maybe 1 inch high. Because they were so small, they were lost often, and therefore very rare and fairly expensive today. They were issued and fitted into a small cardboard folder. (see photo)

post-8-1056657584.jpg

I've never seen or read such a letter. Is there one to be found somewhere on the internet?

Jan.

If it's the "Memorial Scroll" that Ian's referring to, then here's the First World War version. (The serviceman's rank, name and unit was (hand) written underneath the the print in red for the Army and blue for the Navy)

Dave.

post-8-1056667113.jpg

...and the one for WW2... (The serviceman's details came after the word "commemorates")

post-8-1056667204.jpg

A further message was also included with the plaque(this is the WW1 version) - a "thank-you" note from Buck House....

post-8-1056667720.jpg

After World War Two, the Canadian government issued what is known as the "Birks Plaque" to families of fallen soldiers.

Hi David:

I've never seen one of these plaques. Were they produced by Henry Birks and Sons? What were they made of? Thanks.

Garth

Were they produced by Henry Birks and Sons? What were they made of? Thanks.

Garth

My understanding is that indeed they were produced by Henry Birks and Son, and made of pure silver. I have owned them in the past, but have not seen one on the market in at least a years time.

Hope that helps