Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A time to leave the ploughshares

Dawson

William Carr served as a subaltern with the RFA, and this his account of his time on the western front in 1917-1918.

He was to witness Cambrai, the German offensive,the desperate retreat and eventually the thrust to victory.

What is amazing about this book. Is that he wrote it in his 101 year, his memory was razor sharp, only a few names of his friends can't he remember, but that just adds to the human side to the book.

His discriptions of firing over open sights is breathtaking, and his sorrow is so humbling.

This book will sit alongside the likes of Campion Vaughan, Sidney Rogerson and John Tucker as one of my favourite personal accounts.

Hard to find, but well worth searching for. I wish publishers would reprint some off these now largely forgotton classic accounts. but I guess the general public would rather read about some z-list celebrity with enormous knockers! :lol:

P.S The author died in 1985, I wish I'd met him for a wee dram.

Ian.

Totally agree with you Ian, a fine book and all the more impressive for the age at which he was when recalling the events. I've read a copy from my local library.

He was a good country lad who didn't think about joining up until they had got the harvest in.

I don't know if it was due to him being in the Artillery, but his book is not as cynical as some, or maybe he was just a nice fella.

Agree - an excellent Gunner's memoir. I contacted the publishers when it came out, only to find he had 'faded away'.

Hi There, :)

As someone who listed it amoung my favourites on another thread, I totally agree it is a fine book.

Very easy to read and I found myself easily transported back to those days !

I would recommend it to anyone !

Cheers

Tim.