Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Scherpenberg

zijde26

To All,

Does a member know if in ww1 the Scherpenberg (Locres) was linked via a tunnel to Wijtschate ?

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt

No - it would have been 8km long and there weren't any communication tunnels that distance to my knowledge. Here are the British tunnels as dug for the Battle of Messines June 1917 in that area.

post-1722-1114870195.jpg

Regards

Simon

Simon,

Interesting part of a map. Can I ask how many mines are indicated in total on this map ?.

Jacky

Jacky

This map doesn't show the whole front - I have various mining plans of the Messines mines which show all of them, i.e. 19 as blown on 7 June 1917, plus

1 abandoned Petit Douve Farm

1 abandoned Peckham

4 laid and not blown St Yvon (including the 1955 mine)

I think that the lost mines of Messines have been the subject of previous posts but if you want I can post some of these plans or email them to you.

Some of the plans are in Peter Barton, Peter Doyle & Johan Vandewalle's excellent new book Beneath Flanders’s Fields. The Belgian edition which Johan has prepared includes a lot more material than the English one.

Regards

Simon

- To Simon,

Thanks for your posting. Logical answer.

- Beneath is a scan of a postcard depicting the ' Scherpenberg '. It says that the Scherpenberg was used as a headquarter.

What army did use it as a headquarter ?

Thanks,

Gilbert Deraedt