Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

George Bowden

Guest marnie2

Hi, my name is Margaret Mander and I'm very new to this site, still trying to find my way around it !

I'm very interested in the 83rd Coy R.G.A. my Grandfather was with them. I have been researching the entire family history for years and am now concentrating on Grandpops military history and hoping to obtain his records also the history of the Battalion. Can anyone point me in the right directions...feeling a bit lost.

thanks Margaret

Margaret: During the Great War 83 Company, RGA served in Hong Kong. If your grandfather served with that company throughout the war he should have received only a British War Medal. If he also has a Victory Medal then he must have transferred to a unit who served in a war zone during the war. Regards. Dick

Marnie

The Hong Kong RA companies were predominantly Indian and thus it is highly likely he would serve in an Indian/British battery in Europe.

Roop

Marnie

The Hong Kong RA companies were predominantly Indian and thus it is highly likely he would serve in an Indian/British battery in Europe.

Roop

O.K. thanks for that Roop....old pstcards tell me he was in China, Palestine, Egypt as well as Hong Kong....margaret

Any dates on the postcards Marnie??

Roop

Heaps of postcards to go thru however ones in front of me are dated 1909/1911/1917. did they often change Companies predominatly they are addressed to 83rd while some are to 17th and one to 22nd heavy Battery Rg.

Margaret

The personel from RGA companies were often seconded to new batteries when formed to provide experience and due tot he shortage of skilled gunners in the early part of the war.

Your postcards dated 1917 which battery is that addressed to and what picture is on the front??

Roop

Guest marnie2

Roop, the p.card dated 1917 is addressed to 22nd New Heavy Battery

B.G.F. France. picture of nowhere in particular just "Hands across the Distance"

Margaret

Well according to the LLT:

22nd Heavy Battery RGA (raised in Woolwich in August 1914 for the Division but left and moved independently to France on 31 August 1915, joining XXII HA Brigade)

However I am somewhat confused by the word NEW in the title you have provided and wonder to what it refers.

How about the date and picture on the 17th Battery postcard, lets see what that can tell us.

Roop

Guest marnie2

[17th. battery p.card dated Feb. 1911 addressed to the Channel Isles....picture on card.... countryside pic. named Hartmoor, Devizes.

Ok I cannot draw any conclusions from that as it predates the war somewhat.

His service record if it survived should be extremely interesting as he certainly seems to have had long service.

You never posted his name though?? His Medal Index Card may tell you more if you do not already have it. I presume he survived the war???

Roop

Guest marnie2

Yes he survived the war and I do have is Medal index card although I find it somewhat confusing. His name was George Bowden. I am trying to find someone to help me get his service record, as I live in Western Australia...this is difficult for me to do myself. Thanks for all your info though Roop.

Margaret

If you can scan and post his MIC it would be helpful as it may give his date of entry to a particular theatre of war.

I further presume he was British rather than a New Zealander???

Roop

Guest marnie2

Roop, this is his medal card and yes he was british. Migrated to Australia and returned to Britain at the outbreak of war presumably to his old unit

Margaret

post-6961-1114949410.jpg

Margaret

The MIC below is I believe your man????

If so his date of entry to a theatre matches closely that of 22nd Heavy Battery above if my eyes are not deceiving me. I read it as 30/8/1915.

If that is the correct interpretation of the date and given the postcard information above there is at the National Archives part of the war diary for this unit.

22nd Heavy Battery RGA

I cannot find later references to this unit and wonder if it was reformed or renamed in some manner which may account for the mention of NEW in the address title you previously posted.

Perhaps other chums could shed light on this and also give opinion regarding the date on the MIC.

Roop

22nd Heavy Battery, RGA armed with four guns went out to the Western Front on 31 August 1915 (MICs usually show embarkation dates while this source shows disembarkation dates) with 22nd Heavy Artillery Brigade (HAB). Transferred to 44th Heavy Artillery Group (HAG) on 6 Sep 16 and made up to six guns on 24 Nov 16. It transferred to 27th HAG on 19 Mar 17 and to 13th HAG on 12 Sep 17. No subsequent changes.

Regards. Dick

Guest marnie2

Thanks Dick and Roop for all your help and information. I will certainly follow up on the info thru the National archives while trying to obtain his service records

however tell me why you find Grandpop so interesting was it unsual for these fellows to move around so much.......you can tell Im quite ignorant on these matters

Margaret :)

Marg,

He was a prewar regular who was possibly on reserve in 1914. Being in Egypt may have involved him in the Sudan campaign.

Roop