Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visa Costs

Blackblue

Can anyone tell me what a tourist visa for UK passport holders costs upon entry to Turkey? The Turkish Embassy in Australia has advised that it is $50.00 US for Australians. I also have a UK Passport and wondered if it would be chaper if I use that instead.

Rgds

Tim D

When I went last year as a UK citizen the form was you had to "buy" a visa on arrival before you went through passport control. The cost was a brand new (and emphasis on an unused note) £10 note.

Does this help?

Tim,

it used to be free for Ozzies and Kiwis but now we are all one happy family and get charged.

$A50 seems a bit steep, but I would be surprised if you get it cheaper on your British passport

Peter

£10 sterling is the mark for the British, but you can also pay in Euros (which was similar but not exactly the same as I recall. Yes, they can be fussy about clean and fresh notes and can be loath to give change.

Visas are valid for three months and the best way to upset the visa stamp seller is to refuse to buy one and then show him a current one from your previous recent visit.

Some collegues are due out there next week to build a sweet factory and have been told to take a new ten pound note as has been suggested above.

Roop

Cheers guys. 10 pounds seems far more reasonable that $50 US. Will see when I get there I suppose!

Rgds

Tim

As I remember they would only take the currency related to the passport.

So British passport meant £.

I was there when a woman turned up with a Latvian passport. That threw them!

They ended up letting her in for nothing. The bureaucracy couldn't cope.

It's only a landing tax, anyway.

Incidentally, don't get a visa for Egypt before going, it's cheaper and much, much quicker at Cairo - i.e. it takes 3 weeks for an embassy to charge £15 and about ten seconds for the man in Cairo to take £10.

Cheers mate. Surely I can use Euro though? I am sure I will stump them. I will have to leave Australia using my Australian Passport and then plan tojust pull out the UK one when I get there. Will just have to wait and see what happens!

Rgds

Tim D

Cheers mate. Surely I can use Euro though? I am sure I will stump them.

I have travelled to Turkey on a UK passport and paid in Euros - 15 to be exact. Fees vary with country of origin of passport. I have never known them insist on new notes, but I have seen them refuse to give change.

A further caveat is that the entitlement to stay is normally three months, but this is variously interpreted as 90 days or 13 weeks depending upon the port concened and the officer on duty. This is not normally a problem for casual tourist, but it can be if making repeat visits on the same visa stamp.

Thanks a lot Hedley. Now hopefully they won't insist on a exit stamp from Oz in my UK passport!

Rgds

Tim

Thanks a lot Hedley.  Now hopefully they won't insist on a exit stamp from Oz in my UK passport!

Rgds

Tim

If you hold both, use your Oz passport to leave Oz and your UK passport in Europe and Turkey.

I wouldn't like to be the one at a Turkish airport trying to explain why I am carrying two passports, however innocent the explanation.

The opening strains of "Midnight Express" would be passing through my mind.

Andy

Yeah great Andy.....thanks very much! I'll actually have three as I always carry my official one as well...just in case. The latest information I have been given by someone who went for Anzac Day is that it doesn't matter where I am from....the costs are the same. The UK one may help with not standing in cues I suppose.

Thanks Angie thats what I intend to do. You aren't a middle aged Asian male that drives a black Audi, and lives in Brisbane by any chance? I saw a number plate today that was 999Angie and immediately thought of you.

Rgds

Tim