Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

GRANDAD'S LOST WEEKS .

steve140968

:blink: Having today come back from the 'PRO' after doing further research on my grandfather i am 'rather stuck'. After accessing his records i came across a casualty form - active service . My problem is that i'm finding it difficult to read some of it , which is a shame because it seems to contain quite alot of information . The story goes as follows . He was posted to the 16th battalion Middlesex on the 22/1/1917 , he joined in ?BD on the 14/3/1917 and rejoined battalion in the field on the 24/3/1917. He was wounded in action on the 24/4/1917 , and was sent to England on the 5/5/1917. Several entries are made through February but i'm unable to read them except one part with (6g FA) in. The other puzzle is that towards the top of the page it says group 30 ( Tunnel miner worker) . Is it possible that he was transfered somewhere else during the missing period ( possibly mining ) . Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated , thanks . Steve .

Steve, Bit of a guess but it is possible he was part of a labour battalion assisting tunnelers for a period.

Roop

:) Cheers Roop , you could be right ! Has anyone else heard of soldiers of the 16th Middlesex being used in a tunneling role ? Steve .

I can't imagine soldiers from the "Public Schools" battalion wanting to get their hands dirty :-))

That was my first thought Max, but there again by this date I would not imagine the composition was of that ilk.

Roop

That was my first thought Max, but there again by this date I would not imagine the composition was of that ilk.

Roop

I agree, probably the "Bash St" battalion

Can you post a scan Steve? Would make things much easier to interpret.

Rgds

Tim D

It seems he was wounded or taken ill in February 1917. The FA = Field Ambulance. ?BD = Infantry Base Depot, where he would have gone after recovering to await a posting to a unit.

:) Thanks guys . Tim , unfortuanately the image is not of a format i seem to be able to post , and as my computer knowledge is limited i will have to wait until i'm able to find a way . Chris , a big thankyou . I will have to get the image posted somehow so that you are able to look at the rest . It's not that good an image but for someone who knows what they are looking for it may be good enough . The entry before the 'field ambulance' part (25/2/1917) is on the 22/2/1917 where under 'place of casualty' it may say in the field . After cross referencing the war diary for around this date it would seem that on the 22/2/1917 it mentions the battalion marching to Maltzhorn camp (south of Trones wood) . On the 23/2/1917 the battalion takes over the line at Sailly-saillisel , and casualty's were officers - 1 wounded , other ranks - 1 killed 10 wounded . Maybe it's possible that he was caught up in this fighting - it would certainly make sense with the dates as the batallion was not relieved until the 25th . Many , many thanks . Steve .