Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Patch and Robertson of the 28th Bn. CEF

Derek Robertson

Last year I bought in an auction a medal to a soldier of the 28th Battalion (North-West) CEF who died in 1917 and was buried near his home in Somerset. My interest collecting to the 28th Battalion stems from my Great-grandfather's service in this battalion.

The medal was in the name of Pte Gilbert John Patch who was 28 years when he died, the son of Robert and Ann Patch, of Holly Hedge Farm, Felton, Winford, Bristol, Somerset, England.

Whilst researching the soldier his name rang a bell in my head but I couldn't quite establish why it did so.

That is until this week.

Whilst reading part of the 28th Battalion's War Diary I read the following extract for the 17th February, 1917:

FGCM for trial of no.782351 Pte.G.J Patch and no.73601 L/Sgt J.P Robertson assembled at H.Q mess.

post-172-1114804615.jpg

My Great-grandfather and Gilbert Patch were to be tried by Field General Court Martial.

And now in my possession was the BWM which had been awarded to Gilbert's parents on his death which I had bought unknowingly.

Within less than 24 hours of posting an appeal on the Forum for a picture of Gilbert's grave, Les (Eviltaxman) went out for me and took the following picture:

post-172-1114804925.jpg

One of the delights of the Forum for me is that total strangers go out of their way to help others without asking anything in return.

To Les and the other PALS who came forward to help me find a picture of Gilbert's grave I thank you.

Les took another picture of a memorial tablet in the cemetery which carries the name of a William J Patch - possibly a relation of Gilbert's? It's another avenue for me to explore.

I now have to find out the reasons for the trial of Gilbert although an initial indication from the Canadian archives is that Gilbert may have acted "to the prejudice of good order and military discipline."

I know the reasons for my Great-Grandfather's trial which ended in him losing his stripes and 14 days Field Punishment no.2.

However, his secret is also my secret :P I don't judge or condemn him. He endured more in his 3 years in France than I ever would in a lifetime.

Was it fate that brought Gilbert's medal into my possession or was it just a long coincidence?

. . .  snip, snip . . .

I now have to find out the reasons for the trial of Gilbert although an initial indication from the Canadian archives is that Gilbert may have acted "to the prejudice of good order and military discipline."

. . . snip, snip . . .

Alas! We have few secrets anymore!

The Court Martial indexes are on line, here .

However, at this late date I doubt anyone thinks any the less of the fellows just because they got into a bit of mischief.

Just my opinion.

Derek, Just glad I could help. There have been a few Pals that have helped me out over the last few months (not necessarily photos) and it was time I repaid a debt.

I don't know if this is of use, but I've come across the page the Gilbert is mention - on the 1917 Pages of Rememberance of the CEF. A small copy is below, but I'll e-mail you the full size version.

Les.

Derek,

Brilliant coincidence!

These kinds of things come around once in a long while, and only after very good detective work.

David

Alas! We have few secrets anymore!

The Court Martial indexes are on line, here .

However, at this late date I doubt anyone thinks any the less of the fellows just because they got into a bit of mischief.

Just my opinion.

In politically correct Britain I doubt whether such records would be freely available in such a manner. There would probably be a 100 year exclusion clause on them.

However, I for one am happy that the Candian authorities have made their records available.

Derek,

Congratulations on bringing this story to light, great piece of work.

Andy