Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Visitor Centre

Mark Hone

A delayed but very interesting edition of the WFA Bulletin arrived today. I was particularly struck by news of the Thiepval Visitor Centre's plans to create a photographic archive of the men commemorated. What proportion will they eventually obtain, I wonder? I am ready to furnish them with a few, including my great-uncle, whose photo appears as my forum 'avatar'. I'm sure other Pals will do likewise.

I too have a number of Somme participants from the German side and would be more than willing to have copies in the archives. A fitting place for the many who lost their lives and hopefuly a few who returned for future generations.

Ralph

(Example, Alois Madl, 16th Bavarian IR, Killed in action 14 July near the Bazentin's from being buried)

post-19-1056580766.jpg

I have picture's of a few soldiers (British) who are commemorated on Thiepval, which I would be willing to contribute scan's of to their visitor's centre.

As a suggestion would it be possible for another element to this site being created, there are now a number of members of this forum who I am sure, like me, have a number of named casualty photographs. What are the possibilities of creating an online casualty album if people contribute scan's of the photo's they have, which could be arranged by Regiment etc ??

By the way Ralph Whitehead is doing good work putting together a database of photo's/information of German WW1 casualties (from German Death Cards) so I would urge anyone who has these ww1 cards in their collections, or buys/sells them to send scans of them to Ralph so they can be added to his database.

All the best, Neil.

Guest Hill 60
By the way Ralph Whitehead is doing good work putting together a database of photo's/information of German WW1 casualties (from German Death Cards) so I would urge anyone who has these ww1 cards in their collections, or buys/sells them to send scans of them to Ralph so they can be added to his database.

Drummy - I didn't know Ralph was compiling a database of these cards, thanks for the info. I have recently bought one, and as soon as I can get it scanned Ralph can have a copy.

Thanks Lee, I have just sent a scan of another WW1 card I have acquired to Ralph, every card sent enables yet another photogragh of a German casualty to be brought together in one central location, a very worthwhile project that Ralph is undertaking.