Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

The Rum Jar Elverdingerstraat Ieper

kerry

Dear Pals,

against all odds I managed to get a room over the weekend 6-9 May at the Rum Jar, in Elverdingrstraat opposit the CWG Office. This surpised me because not only is it VE Day, but there is also a huge hiking/walking event in Ieper that weekend too.

Have any Pals stayed at the Rum Jar, if so, what is it like?

Thanks for any feedback.

Kerry

Really nice place; I put some friends in here the other week, and went to have breakfast with them every day. They commented on how comfy the rooms were, and the breakfast was enough to set you up for the week! Highly recommended from my point of view.

The owner is Peter Morris, a British lad who has been living in Ypres for many years.

Hi Kerry,

The Rum Jar is a super B and B to stay in. Prior to moving to Ypres I would stay there. It only opened last year and the owner Peter Morris has done a fantastic job. It is located across the road from the CWGC offices and therefore only a few mins walk into the center of Ypres. Peter has beautifully decorated the rooms and the beds and furniture in the rooms are antique. The place has a lovely laidback, homely feel to it. Pete is an ex brickie and started this venture last year. He is such a laid back fellow he could almost be horizontal!! If you know what I mean. Within the town walls of Ypres I think this is the best B and B. The room prices are standard for a B and B in towna and the breakfast either continental or English is the best I have seen served at a B and B in Ypres so far. Hope this answers your question.

Iain