Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Attached to a regiment

doogal

Hi

When an officer was transferred/attached to a different regiment, what documentation, beyond the immediate regimental war diary notation of his departure and arrival, would exist?

I am trying to trace details on an officer transferred from the 5th West Riding Regiment to the 2/4th Hampshire Regiment in July 1918.

with thanks for any help -

regards

doogal

I know this sounds like the old old story but there is a good chance that any transfer/promotion will be recorded in the local rag. See below:-

Squadron Sergt. Major D.A. Cathcart, an experienced non-com of the Royal Scots Greys, has, for service in the field, been specially promoted to a commission as 2nd Lt. in the Royal West Kent Regt. and joins the 1st battalion. He is a grandson of the late Mr. James Cathcart of Slatt and a brother of John Cathcart of Alfred Street , Ballymena.

Ballymena Observer, February 11. 1916

This is but one of many examples. You will also find, I'm sure, little snippets about officers being transferred to a 'different theatre' etc. Reading between the lines one can also detect where an officer's face did not fit ... being sent off to West African Regt. etc!!

Hi Desmond,

thanks for this - the problem I have is that I know so little about the chap - I don't even know his first name, let alone where he came from.

(after fruitless searches of MIC's officer's records, regimental histories, officer's lists, archives and diaries. He's in there somewhere, I know.)

(to all - his name is H Brown, Lt - yes, I'm trying to find his details again. :wacko: )

regards

doogal

I see your problem .. Brown is one of 'those' names!!

this man seems to have slipped through some of the most momentus events in human history unnoticed....

which, I suppose, seems to be the fate of so many.

- well, our family have a letter from him to my Gt grandfather's widow, so he hasn't quite disappeared yet.

I think its a case of going back to the MIC's. His aparent absence from CWGC and a mention in a war diary from September 1918 lead me to believe he survived at least.

regards

doogal