Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

French & Belgian Cemeteries Ypres Salient

Aurel Sercu

For the past weeks I have been trying to compile a list of cemeteries in the Ypres Salient that in the years following the Armistice were moved to larger (concentration) cemeteries. These smaller moved cemeteries have since been forgotten, and their (exact) location is virtually unknown. Photographs (certainly of the British cemeteries) hardly exist.

The list of British and German cemeteries is not really a problem. It is however the French and Belgian cemeteries that present problems. I have a few of these, but certainly far from complete. (And the information with regard to the exact location is very scarce.) Even a list of French cemeteries that were moved to St. Charles de Potijze (Zonnebeke Road, Ypres) seems to be non-existant or not available.

Hence my question to the Forum members who may have a postcard collection.

Could they please go throught heir collection and if they find pictures of Belgian and / or French Cemeteries in the Ypres Salient, from shortly after the war, apart from the ones that exist now (like : St. Charles de Potijze, Oeren, Hoogstade, Westvleteren, and a few more), could they please let me know ?

Right now I am not so much interested in the photo itself (though in a later stage a scan would be extremely welcome), but in just the name of the cemetery as it is printed on the postcard.

No need to report the following 8 postcards, since I have them myself.

- Boesinghe - Fransch soldaten kerkhof Carpentier / Cimetière militaire français Carpentier

- Boesinghe - Fransch soldaten kerkhof Lizerne / Cimetière militaire français Lizerne

- Boesinghe - Fransch soldaten kerkhof n° 1 / Cimetière militaire français n° 1

- Boesinghe - Fransch soldaten kerkhof n° 2 / Cimetière militaire français n° 2 (attached photo)

- Ferme Paratonnerre et Cimetière français / Lightning-rod Farm and French Cemetery (= Boezinge)

- Ypres - Cimetière des Zouaves français - Route de Boesinghe / French cemetery (Zouaves) - Road of Boesinghe

- Reninghelst - Cimetière Français / Fransch Kerkhof / French Cemetery

- Reninghelst - French Cemetery - "Ypres League Series"

All additional information with regard to other French / Belgian cemeteries will be extremely welcome.

And should someone have a postcard or photo of a British cemetery that no longer exists, as it was moved to one of the larger (concentration cemeteries), that would be appreciated too !

Aurel

post-92-1114780069.jpg

Just thought it might be worthwhile bringing my Topic up again.

Maybe a photo or postcard collector overlooked it the first time.

Aurel

You know Aurel - for as much moaning and groaning you did about turning 60... I would love to be 60, live in the Salient, and be able to devote so much time to my passion/hobby. Thats definitely some thing you shoudl be greatful for.

BTW.. this is another great contribution on your part.

Andy

Hi Aurel - I have made a mental note of it and will have a look through my collection when I have a spare moment.

Thanks, Paul ! I appreciate. For finding these lost French cemeteries is harder than I anticipated.

And yes, Andy, now I realize I should have made an effort (how ?) to become 60 a lot sooner.

Also because now I feel how great it is, being 60, to have a wife (she is 59 and 4 months) who seems to be sooooo young. And young wives always make husbands feel young(er) as we all know. Almost 50 in my case now.... But then, feeling that one is married to such an "old wife" is not exactly ...

It's all so very confusing... :(

Aurel

Hi Aurel,

Sorry, but I missed this thread the first time. I will check my postcards and get back to you soon.

Robbie

Thanks, Robbie.

I must say I am not very optimistic, but who knows... And should you find postcards of British cemeteries that were completely moved after the Armistice ... I think they must be very scarce though. And even doubt if there are. (The only one I remember is Ecole de Bienfaisance, Ypres, and even that one is not certain.)

Aurel

Thanks, Robbie.

I must say I am not very optimistic, but who knows... And should you find postcards of British cemeteries that were completely moved after the Armistice ... I think they must be very scarce though. And even doubt if there are. (The only one I remember is Ecole de Bienfaisance, Ypres, and even that one is not certain.)

Aurel

Hi Aurel,

I've just been through my small collection. I have only the daily mail postcards of Allied soldiers burying casualties on the front. SOme are Daily Mail cards, 1 is a photo postcard of brits burying soldiers in a burial ground named "Wargraves-on-Thames. Not sure whether these would be of any use. Sorry I couldn't be of more assistance.

Robbie

Robbie,

Thanks for taking the trouble.

It's not really what I can use, though, but thanks anyway !

I don't think the other Daily Mail postcards of Brits burying men in the Ypres Salient mention place names in the Ypres Salient ?

Aurel

Hello

I was requested ~ one year ago about some french cavalry soldiers who were buried during war in Dikkebus.

Where their graves were now ? which unit ?

I was not able to give an answer.

The request was coming from the management of this hotel.

http://www.battlefield-tours.com/Hotel_Camalou.htm

However I do not keep the details: soldier names and contact person,

(I lost many mails having a problem with my Pc some months ago.

Maybe you can contact them to know more about this.

B) I am interested if you discover something...

I hope this is an intersting track for you

Best regards

Tanneguy

Aurel,

I could say additionaly that there was a "brocante" (open market in france)

in the small town close to my home this morning.

I saw several postcards of french cemeteries WW1 but do not take care of places.

(It was not the topic I was looking for.)

If I found again some are you interested I buy some for you ?

This morning the price was 2 euros / card in one of the shops which is I think not too expensive. (I bought there some cards for myself).

Let me know.

Tanneguy

Tanneguy,

Thanks !

I myself am not a postcard collector. (I always take photograpic reproductions or scans of the ones I can lay hands on, or borrow.) However, 2 euros for one postcard is "cheap".

But let us say that I am interested in the first place in the name and location. So if ever you find a postcard of a French cemetery in the Ypres Salient, on a brocante market, could you write down the text on it ? (Name of the cemetery, a number, a farm, a road, location or village,...)

Of course I could say, when reading the postcard you saw : 'This is fantastic ! I wish I had that one...'

But then it will be too late ... :unsure:

Aurel

For the past weeks I have been trying to compile a list of cemeteries in the Ypres Salient that in the years following the Armistice were moved to larger (concentration) cemeteries. These smaller moved cemeteries have since been forgotten, and their (exact) location is virtually unknown. Photographs (certainly of the British cemeteries) hardly exist.

The list of British and German cemeteries is not really a problem. It is however the French and Belgian cemeteries that present problems. I have a few of these, but certainly far from complete. (And the information with regard to the exact location is very scarce.) Even a list of French cemeteries that were moved to St. Charles de Potijze (Zonnebeke Road, Ypres) seems to be non-existant or not available.

Hence my question to the Forum members who may have a postcard collection.

Could they please go throught heir collection and if they find pictures of Belgian and / or French Cemeteries in the Ypres Salient, from shortly after the war, apart from the ones that exist now (like : St. Charles de Potijze, Oeren, Hoogstade, Westvleteren, and a few more), could they please let me know ?

Right now I am not so much interested in the photo itself (though in a later stage a scan would be extremely welcome), but in just the name of the cemetery as it is printed on the postcard.

No need to report the following 8 postcards, since I have them myself.

- Boesinghe - Fransch soldaten kerkhof Carpentier / Cimetière militaire français Carpentier

- Boesinghe - Fransch soldaten kerkhof Lizerne / Cimetière militaire français Lizerne

- Boesinghe - Fransch soldaten kerkhof n° 1 / Cimetière militaire français n° 1

- Boesinghe - Fransch soldaten kerkhof n° 2 / Cimetière militaire français n° 2 (attached photo)

- Ferme Paratonnerre et Cimetière français / Lightning-rod Farm and French Cemetery (= Boezinge)

- Ypres - Cimetière des Zouaves français - Route de Boesinghe / French cemetery (Zouaves) - Road of Boesinghe

- Reninghelst - Cimetière Français / Fransch Kerkhof / French Cemetery

- Reninghelst - French Cemetery - "Ypres League Series"

All additional information with regard to other French / Belgian cemeteries will be extremely welcome.

And should someone have a postcard or photo of a British cemetery that no longer exists, as it was moved to one of the larger (concentration cemeteries), that would be appreciated too !

Aurel

hello aurel,i dont know if this is one of the cemetaries that you are looking for,chemin des dames,craonelle,its only a small cemetary that appears to be in the middle of a village or what i would describe as pulverised rubble,i dont know if the following is of any help,i have another photo[not daily mail]taken 1914,its a german burial service but i dont have a clue where it is,its all in french,it says, au chemin des dames le 1st novembre 1914.les allemands inaugurent leur cimetiere [sur les hauteurs au dernier plan le chemin des dames]the coutryside around is as yet untouched by war,i have others but they are quite big,one is called,environs de soissons-vue generale du cimetiere de vauxvoin with allthe original white crosses,bernard

Thanks, Bernard, but I really think I will stick to the Ypres Salient.

I started with my own village (Boezinge, near Ypres), and then gradually expanded to the Ypres Salient, and all nationalities.

I think including the hundreds (?)of French (moved) cemeteries in France, along the Western Front would be a hopeless and never ending task.

But should you ever find pictures of some in the Ypres Salient, remember me !

Aurel

• 1 month later...

To Aurel,

Could you find something about St Charles de Potyze ? A lot of french cemeteries are cleared nowadays and have been moved to this one (St Charles de Potyze).

Gilbert Deraedt :blink:

Gilbert,

I received a list from someone specialized in French cemeteries, of French Salient cemeteries moved to St. Charles de Potijze. Approx. 80. But it's far from complete, and not detailed, and often leaves me puzzled. Besides, in all these cases not more than just the name of a village or hamlet.

Meanwhile I am moving on. Especially with the German cemeteries. Feeling very pleased with the information I find on them. (Trench maps and other sources.) I wish I found as much about the British cemeteries, for these data are far more scarce, and non specified (since they cannot be found on trench maps).

Aurel

Aurel,

Do you have the location of the French cemetery in Reninghelst ( it's rather now de Klyte). It was on map I found in the Bischoppelijk archief at Bruges.

Frie,

Llocation of the French Cemetery at De Klijte ? No. But I do have a scan of a postcard (sent to me by Gilbert.)

Remind me of it when we meet in the Documentation Centre.

Aurel

Aurel

Probably you know this one already, but anyway: Belgian cemetery at Reninge, remnants are still visible. The cross on the Belgian cemetery of West- Vleteren is originally from Reninge.

There was also a French plot in West- Vleteren which was moved later on.

Erwin

Hello

I was requested ~ one year ago about some french cavalry soldiers who were buried during war in Dikkebus.

Where their graves were now ? which unit ?

I was not able to give an answer.

The request was coming from the management of this hotel.

http://www.battlefield-tours.com/Hotel_Camalou.htm

However I do not keep the details: soldier names and contact person,

(I lost many mails having a problem with my Pc some months ago.

Maybe you can contact them to know more about this.

B)  I am interested if you discover something...

I hope this is an intersting track for you

Best regards

Tanneguy

Aurel,

Did this track give something ?

Best Regards

Aurel

Probably you know this one already, but anyway: Belgian cemetery at Reninge, remnants are still visible. The cross on the Belgian cemetery of West- Vleteren is originally from Reninge.

Erwin

Thanks, Erwin.

Yes, I knew about the location of the Belgian Cem. at Reninge (removed in the 1960s). And discovered the remnants (brick entrance, and gate) a few months ago, everyting overgrown with weeds now.

But I didn't know about the Belgian cross at West-Vleteren though.

Aurel

Aurel,

Did this track give something ?

Best Regards

TD 60,

I have not contacted Camalou B&B yet, but I certainly had not forgotten, and will contact them in the near future.

But I had zo put some system in my research, and have started in the northern part of the Salient, with all sorts of publications (primarily trench maps, battlefield visitors guides, village histories, various lists, etc), so that I have an oversight as complete as possible, and then on a secondary level I will contact additional sources like the one you mention (and local historians, and postcard collectors), especially to obtain more details or confirmation.

Aurel

To Aurel,

The Zonnebeke local history association made a publication on ' German Cemeteries '

Gilbert Deraedt

Yes, Gilbert. In 'Zonneheem', june 2002.

Excellent work, by Forum member Jan Vancoillie (AOK4).

But indeed only for Groot-Zonnebeke. (Zonnebeke, Beselare, Passendale, Zandvoorde)

All that abundant material gathered by Jan for Zonnebeke emphasizes how little is known about the other German (and other) cemeteries elsewhere in the Ypres Salient.

Aurel

A useful book in respect with French Cemeteries is ' De Vergeten Winter 1914-15 ', written by Aleks Deseyne. It also contais a history of the ' St Charles de Potyze ' - cemetery at Ypres.

To Aurel,

If you consider Poperinge as a part of ' The Ypres Salient ', I can send a scan of a moved (cleared) British Cemetery in the Poperinge area.

Gilbert Deraedt :blink: