Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

What Regiment?

Guest smudger28

Guest smudger28

Hello Guys

Could someone please tell me what regiment my Great Grandfather Frank Robert Dexter was in during WW1.

I have attached a photo and apparently he was in the artillery on horseback.

Many Thanks

Paul Smith

Falmouth

UK

post-6951-1114779074.jpg

Got this from the national Archives:

It might be him

Dexter, Frank R E

Corps: Royal Field Artillery

Regiment No: 221607

Go to the medal index card/campaign medal section, and type in Frank Dexter for your search.

You'll get about seven results, only one in the Royal Field Artillery. In fact only one in the artillery at all, so I would be fairly confident it is him.

regards

doogal

Guest smudger28

Doogal

You are a @#@# STAR

His other middle name is Ezra. I think I will order you that document and I owe you a beer my friend!!

Kind Regards

Paul

Guest smudger28

Ok Doogal

All downloaded how do you decipher it?

And would there be any other documents?

Kind regards

Paul

PS Beer #2 coming up................

All downloaded how do you decipher it?

Paul.

Can you post the image to the forum.

First crop it down to your Gt Grandfathers card, save it as a .jpg, and post it as an attachment and we'll have a look. ;)

Mark.

Hi,

both are entitled to the Victory Medal and the British War Medal.

The second card is for a member of the Army Service Corps. The rank looks like Driver.

Other paperwork that might exist will be their service records, a 30% chance of them being at the National Archive./ Have a look at the main website for more on this.

regards

doogal

The second card is for a member of the Army Service Corps. The rank looks like Driver.

Agreed, the "T4" service prefix denotes the rank of Driver (ASC, Horse Transport).

Paul...

The "Code" in the column headed ROLL is the reference No. of the actual medal roll in which the entry appears.

The "No." in the column headed PAGE, is simply the page No. within this document.

The actual medal rolls are not available online, and have to be accessed via a visit to the NA.

The rest of the card is fairly "Self Explanitory" (Name, Corps, Rank, Regt No. etc.).

Interestingly neither card shows a "Theatre of War" or "Date of Entry", this usually means that they entered the War "On or After" 1st Jan 1916.

Hope this helps.

Oh... And Nice Clear Photo of your Gt Grandfather BTW... :)

Mark.

The "Code" in the column headed ROLL is the reference No. of the actual medal roll in which the entry appears.

The "No." in the column headed PAGE, is simply the page No. within this document.

The actual medal rolls are not available online, and have to be accessed via a visit to the NA.

Hi Mark,

are the actual rolls worth looking up?

for all the interest in the mic's, I've never really considered the content of the rolls themselves in any detail, always assuming they would be more or less the same as the mic's but with a little detail on the medal type and dispatch address?

regards

doogal

are the actual rolls worth looking up?

for all the interest in the mic's, I've never really considered the content of the rolls themselves in any detail, always assuming they would be more or less the same as the mic's but with a little detail on the medal type and dispatch address?

You pretty much have it there Doogal, also usually (But not always) they give the specific Battalion/Battery, etc.

Mark.