Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Some service!

Desmond7

What about this 'lad' for service record ... been looking for him for a while now. Found him in WW2 newspapers!!!

post-1582-1114719515.jpg

Seemed to!

Tough lookin' old buzzard, ain't he?

I'd love his medals though!

Cheers.

His brother got the MM in WW1

Military Medal

17681 Pte. S. Bartholomew, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, another Ballymena recipient of the Military Medal, is the youngest son of Mr. George Bartholomew, Antrim Road, Ballymena. He enlisted shortly after the outbreak of war and took part in the landing at Suvla Bay.

He has two brothers with the colours, Pte. WILLIAM Bartholomew ASC and Pte. Jack Bartholomew, who is serving with the Canadians.

Ballymena December 15, 1916

As you can see, I think he was actually ASC in WW1 .. but he may have spent some time with the Rifles.

Why have you been seeking him, Des? And why was he in the Second World War newspaper, other than being called up for the second time round?

No references to his personal life; do you know anything about his life outside the army, or didn't he have one?

Gwyn

I'm just glad he was on our side!

Judging by the photo, I'd say that was taken fairly early on...... but what a collection he must had.

Les.

William's seem to be general campaign medals apart fro the CdeG. Usual form with that .. virtually impossible to find out why he got it. Mostly seem to have been presented to guys who were good soldiers and who might have had recommendations for British medal turned down.

At least that's what I've found in the past.

His bruv seems to have been a bit of a boyo. See below.

Private Sandy Bartholomew, Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers, who has been made a recipient of the medal of St. George 3rd class, is the youngest son of Mr. George Bartholomew, Antrim Road, Ballymena.

Pte. Bartholomew, who was awarded the Military Medal in December last for conspicuous bravery in the field, enlisted shortly after the outbreak of war and took part with his regiment in the landing at Suvla Bay, Gallipoli. He has two brothers with the colours, Pte. Wm. Bartholomew, Army Service Corps and Pte. Jack Bartholomew, serving

with the Canadian Forces.

Ballymena Observer, February 23, 1917

I should have pointed out that I had been looking for this picture because I'd been told there was a 'great photo' of him in WW2 uniform. I had doubted this .. but there he is.

Gwyn ... I'll have to check some of the old football club pics to see if there's a picture of him with his magic sponge!! I must also have a look in the phone book for Ballymena Bartholomews ... it's not exactly a common name here.

And this is Billy in 1914 - looks as if he was ASC after all.

I like the WW2 one with the medals though.

And I wish I could get a pic of his brother!

post-1582-1114721961.jpg

Edited by Desmond7

Nice discovery Des, goes to show how many odd or unusual places you might find information such as this, and a great photo to boot.

Ralph

Hi Des,

There was a thread with a link to a medal description website earlier this week on the forum. (don't have time to find it at the mo' off to bed :blink: ) But I'm pretty sure that you are on the right lines regarding the CdeG.

If I remember correctly this medal was awarded to men that had been mentioned in despatches but had not been awarded a medal. I'll try and find it later.

Regards,

Steve.

Ralph,

Nice to see you back in action. Have you changed any nappies yet? ;)

Interesting as always, Des! :)

Here's his brother's attestation papers, link. It seems he worked in Moore Barracks' Hospital.

Hi Des,

There was a thread with a link to a medal description website earlier this week on the forum. (don't have time to find it at the mo' off to bed :blink: ) But I'm pretty sure that you are on the right lines regarding the CdeG.

If I remember correctly this medal was awarded to men that had been mentioned in despatches but had not been awarded a medal. I'll try and find it later.

Steve,

it wasn't THIS ONE was it? :rolleyes:

Dave. :)

Des,

Great find and interesting character, Somaliland too.

Andy

Pals,

I'm intrigued by his medals. Despite specific mention of his Somaliland service in the newspaper article he is not wearing an AGS. However he is wearing a jubilee / coronation medal, so wonder what he was up to between wars to have earned that?

Regards

Steve

Cheers folks for all the replies.

Chris - as usual Maple Leaf Forever!

Spotter - I'm intrigued ... was this Jubilee/Coronation medal given to serving members of the forces at the time? Or did he have to play some part in the ceremony/parade?

I'm also wondering about the reference to his WW1 service in the RIRifles when it seems plain that he was ASC. I've checked the MICs for that.

I have my own thoughts on that ... anyone reading between my lines here?

I am sure most of us hope we are as 'tight looking' as this bloke when we reach the same age!

Des

Spotter - I'm intrigued ... was this Jubilee/Coronation medal given to serving members of the forces at the time? Or did he have to play some part in the ceremony/parade?

Desmond,

I'm not too sure what the qualification requirements for these medals were, but I'm sure they were issued in the tens of thousands. That said, not every serving soldier would have got one. There would have been specific requirements for a 'general' issue (awarded Level X gallantry, X number of years good service, etc.), but those attending the 'main event' in London or whatever would probably have qualified automatically. He could also have earned it of course as a noteworthy civilian at the time especially if he was working in a Govt Department. A knowledge of his activities in the inter-war years will be necessary to unravel this mystery.

Regards

Steve

Steve - I do not know whether to thank you or thump you!!!!

Yet another 'wee project' to keep me busy .... cheers for that.

Des

Steve,

it wasn't THIS ONE was it? 

Dave.

Yep, thats the one!,

Thanks Dave :rolleyes:

Des,

Looking at Jack's Attestation paper, I notice a curiousity. He attested with the No. 2 Field Ambulance Depot (Canadian Army Medical Corps) in October, 1915 at Shorncliffe. It was quite rare for anyone to join the Canadian forces in England. There may be a story here if he had no other connection with Canada. (Of course, I do not know the story!).