Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Plugstreet

Dave T

Hi All,

Hoping to visit Plugstreet next week when in Ypres. Can anyone suggest places to visit?

Thanks,

Dave

Could be worth typing Plugstreet (or Ploegsteert) into the search - that should bring up some info. The wood itself is a very small area and the best suggestion I can give is to get hold of Tony Spagnoly's 'A walk Round Plugstreet' which is a superb little guide to the wood and one of my favourite books of it's type. A great read whether you are planning a visit there or not.

I would suggest a visit to the Christmas Truce site and Bairnsfather plaque naer Prowse point Cemetery followed by a walk from Prowse Point into the wood itself, visiting Mud Corner and other cemeteries. This is incredibly atmospheric. I would also recommend 'A Walk Round Plugstreet' and our own Paul Reed's 'Walking The Salient'.

Hi

If you are going to be their on Friday 6th May, the last post ceremony takes place at 7.00p.m at Hyde Park Corner Memorial. (not to be missed!)

Then a drink in Claudes bar over the road.

LizM

Hi

If you are going to be their on Friday 6th May, the last post ceremony takes place at 7.00p.m at Hyde Park Corner Memorial. (not to be missed!)

Then a drink in Claudes bar over the road.

LizM

Dave / Liz M

We ( three in group) will be visiting the memorial for the lasat post on Friday evening,may be able to introduce ourselves. Also hope to visit the area Mark reccommends

Liz

Will we be able to obtain a meal in Claudes bar??

Cheers

Paul

Yes, he does a lovely steak

I will be at the service (as usual)

Liz

Yes, he does a lovely steak

I will be at the service (as usual)

Liz

Hi all,

Thanks for your tips, unfortunately, I will not be able to make the last post at Hyde Park as I am not arriving until late on the 6th.

Dave

Liz,

I should be in Ypres from the Calais ferry by 1500 so will try to join you all. Is Hyde Park Corner cemetery the one with the lions and the circular colonnade opposite a pub?

Kerry

Hi Kerry,

Yes, you cannot miss it.

See you on Friday (Ask Claude to introduce us- if we miss each other he knows me well!)

Liz

Hi all,

Thanks for your tips,  unfortunately, I will not be able to make the last post at Hyde Park as I am not arriving until late on the 6th.

Dave

Shame you will not be able to make it perhaps another time, it's a very good service.

Liz

Thanks Liz,

I know where we are now. Do you happen to know if any Canadian Vets will be there? I know they will be at the Sunday Ceremony - I was supposed to be reading the exhortation and had it booked for over a year but I have been displced by them. I need to meet up to try to work out a compromise, because I'll have a relative of someone on the Menin Gate. No worries if you don't know.

Looking forward to that steak-how many do you think will be there? I've never been to this ceremony before.

See you Friday evening

Kerry

One of my favourite photo of Ploegsteert Memorial.

The Cross of Sacrifice at the end of the track for all those soldiers.

post-6797-1115280503.jpg

It would have been better with some sunshine...

however wether was not so good that day

Regards

Hi,

I was in "Plugstreet" a few weeks ago and found the experience quite haunting. I walked from Prowse Point, past Mud Corner and into the wood. The sense of impending danger was really present, not that I am a great believer in ghosts etc. Luckily, I chose to stop at Claude's where I not only had great coffee but was astounded by the welcome I received and the wonderful map he gave me of the area, showing the various points of interest.

I hope you have a fantastic trip, I know I did.

Here's a photo of Hyde Park with the wood in the background.

Regards

PAUL JOHNSON :ph34r:

post-1368-1115288975.jpg