Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Oldham Pals

Guest Hussar

I've just got hold of " Cotton Town Comrades"

The Oldham Pals, later 24th Battalion Manchester Regt.

It has the Rolls of the Original Pals, The Officers and Fatalities among Non-Originals.

It also has a photo of the Officers, NCO's and each individual Platoon.

Is there one on 20th Manchesters? I have just acquired a testament of one who is in Tyne Cot and there is a thread about him under soldiers, name is Lewis Charlesworth.

Sorry Paul, it's only the 24th. I had a quick look, as I'd noticed in your thread that someone said he may have been posted from another Btn., but there's no Charlesworths listed.

;)

• 7 months later...

Can you lookup

Ernest Smith

Anthony Smith

William Smith

George A Smith

Alfred Sales

All lived in Chadderton/Oldham before and after the war and fought.

Thank you

George

Guest dave neale

George

I have a copy of this book and have taken a look. I can only find you one of these men.

There is in fact two possibilities for William Smith, a Pte W. Smith 14617 from Failsworth and the one that I think is most likely to be your man:

Pte William Smith 14757. C Coy. 10 Pl. Stretcher bearer. Born 1893. Single, spinner. 4yrs. 1mo. service; 3yrs. 2mo. overseas. Gordon Spinning Co.Hollinwood. Home address, 174 Coalshaw Green Rd, Chadderton.

The platoon group pictures in the book are quite poor quality so I dont think they would be at all clear if I attempt to scan them.

If you wish I could give it a go and e-mail it to you.

I would be happy to do any other look ups if anyone requires.

Dave

There is in fact two possibilities for William Smith, a Pte W. Smith 14617 from Failsworth and the one that I think is most likely to be your man:

Pte William Smith 14757. C Coy. 10 Pl. Stretcher bearer. Born 1893. Single, spinner. 4yrs. 1mo. service; 3yrs. 2mo. overseas. Gordon Spinning Co.Hollinwood. Home address, 174 Coalshaw Green Rd, Chadderton.

Just to muddy the waters a little...

I've found another Oldham William Smith - 1759 Cpl. William Smith 1/10 Manchester Regiment. (this was an Oldham Territorial unit). He was evacuated (either wounded or sick - I'm unsure) from Gallipoli.

Dave

Guest dave neale

George,

Just rechecked the book just in case I had made a typo with the date, but can still confirm the date mentioned is 1893.

No to say that there could have been a mistake made somewhere else along the line.

Do you have any further details of William Smith that may be able to help identify the right man?

Dave

he was aged 27 at the start of the war and at the time of his marriage in 1906 he was a selfactor minder. His wife was Emma Wroe.

I don't know anything else!

• 2 years later...

I have another clue now, made contact with his grandson this year, he told me that William fought in Palestine in WW1. Whether that will help you or not I don't know.

Thanks

George

• 2 months later...