Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Visiting Ypres

ray hoggart

Hello experts,

Along with friends I am thinking of visiting the Ypres area later in the year. We intend travelling in a camper! Are there any good sites in the area? I want to soak up the general atmosphere but I particularly want to visit Railway Wood, being disabled and unable to walk far would it be far from a road and is it out of the question? We hope to travel in September.

Thank you,

Ray7155

We toured with salient tours and seen a lot of things that we would have otherwise overlooked!....the guide knows his stuff!

Hello experts,

I particularly want to visit Railway Wood, being disabled and unable to walk far would it be far from a road and is it out of the question? 

Thank you,

Ray7155

Railway Wood is next to a main road, on the west side of it (from Hell Fire Corner to the motorway A19). And also next to a smaller road, on its south side.

However, Railway Wood is not accessible. (Private property.)

Aurel

I think that the best campsite in the area (and the one I always use) is also the most convenient. This is the camping at the Jeugdstadion between the Lille and the Menin Gates on the other side of the moat (head towards Ieper down the Menin Road. Turn left at the petrol station before the traffic lights and it's on your right after a few hundred yards. If you get to the roundabout with the giant tap, you've gone too far). The do have a website.

I always used to stay at the Ypra at Kemmel, but I think it's lost some of it's charm of late.

Dave.

Ray. Railway Wood is well worth the effort. The wood may be private but the roads around this little wood are not! You can walk all the way around, right up to the wood itself. Several good memorials and mine craters too! No probs if you can walk reasonably well. Good roads and hard track to memorials. 1 small crater to theN.E of the wood, clearly seen and several more behind the R.E Memorial! Enjoy! Chris. :rolleyes:

Many thanks to you all for the help! The visit was confirmed yesterday, all parties present and correct so this should be a treat for me! My companions are only along for the ride!!

Ray 7155