Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Local Cross of Sacrifice

Patrick H

I have just revisited my local war memorial (Cross of Sacrifice) for Lambourne and Abridge, and am appalled at its current state. It is covered in mildew and at a tilt. Also the grass (weed patch) surrounding it needs work. The memorial is inside the graveyard which I believe to be unusual since most were on unconsecrated ground to allow for atheists and other religions!

My question: who is responsible for maintaining the memorial. As it is in the Churchyard I assume it is not the CWGC so is it the Church PCC or the local Parish Council ? Whoever it is will be getting one of my letters! Any advice?

Patrick

It will almost certainly be the church authorities.

You should contact the Church Warden who is the person responsible for the fabric of the church and its property.

There is a possibility that the churchyard (if it is closed to burials) may have been taken into the care of the local district/borough council.

I would phone the church warden first to get the exact story and then follow up with whatever action that indicates. Remember that if it is tilting, there could be safety issues and the 'owning' authority will have a Duty of Care.

Many thanks Terry, I shall certainly follow that up

Patrick

• 2 weeks later...

If the memorial is the official town memorial with the names of all local men regardless of faith or beliefs I believe this would be the responsibility of the Town's council local Parks & Cemetry department. A call to the town hall would easily confirm this. I recently did similar and found this was the situation.

Regards,

Steve

whatever the outcome give them hell....

not good form to let such a memorial go.. although on here there have been instances of those which are in a bad state

John