Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Joseph Stevenson, RAMC

Mark Hone

I have obtained the Soldier's Small Book, photos and other articles belonging to 29487 Private Joseph Stevenson, 36 Coy RAMC, from Oldham. Stevenson had been a pre-war member of the RAMC: the material includes a postcard of a motley crew entitled 'Cooks RAMC Haltwhistle 1911'. He rejoined for the duration as a reservist on 29/1/15, aged 36 years 11 months. His Soldier's Small Book has almost nothing in it but there is a slip stamped RAMC Record Office Aldershot 29 December 1916 awarding him the war badge. I assume that he did not see overseas service and was discharged (ill health?) around that date. His MIC records 'RAMC/101 A. ' There is a section at the bottom with two indecipherable words folowed by 'RAMC/84 Badge No 101125 reported found 24.9.19. LB/88 11.'

Any help with deciphering all this would be much appreciated. There is a very nice group photo of his RAMC Company included:they are all clearly wearing their Red Cross arm badges; unfortunately I haven't worked out which one is Stevenson.

Re other postings on this forum I can assure Pals that I am not a paid researcher! The man was a relative of our friends over the road, who have just inherited a suitcase full of family photos and documents.

Hi Mark,

I don't know about you but I have had immense trouble tracking the movements of my Grandfather who was in the RAMC. It seems that there are very few records of them as most seem to have been slit up and attached to various regiments. I know that my grandfather went over with the Grenadier Guards in Aug 1914 but after that I can't trace him.

Have you tried the RAMC historian, I forget his name but have some correspodnace from him at home and could look it up if you want.

regards

Rod