Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Kitcheners Brother

KONDOA

I have just recieved a diary in which the writer on learning of the death of Kitchener on the HMS Hampshire goes on to state that Kitcheners brother was Colonel in GEA.

Does a pal have anything to add, confirm or refute this statement. The comment further goes on to say that Horatio had the luck but the brother had the brains.

Lets hear it!!

Roop

Roop

This is one brother who was a Colonel at the time of the Boer War.

KITCHENER, Sir Frederick Walter (1858-1912), Lieutenant General

Lt, West Yorkshire Regt 1876; Aghanistan 1878-1880; Director of Transport, Dongola expedition, Sudan 1896; Khartoum 1898; South Africa 1899-1900; Governor and Commander-in-Chief, Bermuda 1908-1912

Dave

Thanks Dave, the trail gets warmer. Looks like a bit of nepotism too??

Edit: This must be another brother though or my reference is mistaken. I have just found this in the MIC index.

Medal card of Kitchener, H E C

Corps Regiment No Rank

Staff Colonel

East African Miscellaneous List Colonel

Any ideas chums??

Roop

Roop

Two snippets of info:

In 1885 a Capt. H.E.C.Kitchener was serving in the 2nd. Batt.Duke of Cornwalls LI

and in 1900 Col.H.E.C.Kitchener was Stationed at Up Park Camp, Kingston, Jamaica.

Dave

Thanks again Dave, seem to be a lot of Kitcheners about !! Ill see what else I can dig up now from that info.

Roop

Right then, thanks to Daves input we can answer my own question.

Colonel H.E.C Kitchener was Horatios elder brother ( his other brother dying 1912 as Dave posted above) who was sent to East Africa by Horatio to sort out the possibility of raising more troops locally. He arrived Nairobi 13th February 1915 accompanied by Lord Cransworth.

In May 1915 he was appointed Inspector of Railway Defences in British East Africa to counter the hit and run raids by German forces.

Upon Horatios death in 1916 , HEC became 2nd Earl Kitchener.

Now that isn't boring is it <_<

Roop