Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

WW1 Pensioner's

Piscator

Given that a man listed on his death certificate as an Army Pensioner and that no records survive with regard to Regiment or service number, where could I find details of his pension together with other information, is there a Min. of Pension's address I could contact?

Len

Len,

The following is extracted from the National Archives website, which I believe answers your question admirably.

"The service records in the series WO 364 - the 'Unburnt Documents' - were recovered by the War Office from the Ministry of Pensions and other government departments after the Second World War. They mainly concern men who were discharged (with pensions) from the army because of sickness or wounds received in battle between 1914 and 1920. Aside from the usual military forms, most of the individual files in WO 364 thus also contain detailed medical records."

Regards

Steve

Len,

Sorry! Forgot about the PIN files as follows...

Aside from the main sources in WO 363 and WO 364, The National Archives also holds other material that may provide information about ancestors who fought in the British army during the First World War. The Ministry of Pensions files in PIN 26, similar in content to those preserved in WO 364, contain a small number of further pension records for those discharged on medical grounds during the war.

Regards

Steve

Many thanks Steve, sometimes its difficult to see the wood for the tree's, I've checked the Pin 26 thought I was on a winner but it turned out that the J. E Carter I was looking for was a James Ernest and my chap is a James Edward :( I'd actually forgotten about the unburnt doc's so that will be my next step if I can get to the N A Failing that get a researcher, be more rewarding if I can find the records myself. Once again "Mucho Grassy ****" sorry spanish isnt to good :rolleyes:

Len