Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

A 2/Lt`s day

PhilB

I assume that, in or out of the trenches, the platoon sergeant would spend much of his time actually with the men, supervising and directing. Which leaves the 2/Lt platoon commander with not a lot to do except "Carry on, sergeant"! It can`t have been as simple as that, but how exactly would the 2/Lt have typically filled his day? On platoon duties or elsewhere? Phil B

I have a medal group to a 2/Lt that was wounded whilst inspecting telephone wires

Lt Arthur Innes Adam of the 1st Cambs was kia 16/9/16 age 22. In his letters home he mentioned supervising endless working parties, and likened his lot to that of glorified foreman.

In the line, a subaltern [2Lt or Lt] was one of up to four junior Company officers: sickness, courses, leave often produced fewer. Except for major actions, a typical battalion would have one subaltern in charge of the Company position, with a CSM or senior sergeant as 2ic. The other officers would have a host of tasks to pursue, from routine admin to Courts Martial to foot parades, to battalion Orderly Officer, Pay Parade etc. Then again, the Transport Officer, the Signalling Officer, the Scout Officer and the MG officer [until MGs were brigaded] would be drawn from the companies.

"Carry on Sergeant"? No chance.

And twice a day at Stand To! all officers did just that. No rest for the wicked.

Oh yes: It takes about five workers to adequately cover ONE 7/24 shift post in Civvy Street, allowing for a 42 hour week, leave, sickness, handover time, courses etc.

I take it that most 2/Lts would go into the line with their company, then, and that platoon duties might be the least of his concerns? If his time was generally spent on company/battalion duties, I imagine the senior officers would delegate jobs according to their opinion of the subalterns` capabilities? Phil B

Hi

So who has the war diary for our Lt?

I bet someone has something somewhere!

Com on boys and girls we are waiting.

Mandy

Your 2Lt is the conduit of information to the platoon. The platoon Sgt carrys out the house and grounds work, the 2Lt supervises and ensures that the commanders intent is carried out.

Of course there is the obligatory leadership aspect as well.

Phil,

A 2Lt/Lt still had plenty to do. Notwithstanding battle casualties etc. in the rifle companies of an infantry battalion a 2Lt or Lt usually filled the role of Platoon Commander. In action his principal role was to command the platoon and implement the orders given by his Company Commander (usually a Captain). The Platoon Sergeant acted as the Platoon 2IC and was the conduit between the chain of supply and the platoon. The Platoon Sergeant was responsible for keeping the platoon fed/clothed/bombed up and functioning whilst the Platoon Commander was primarily responsible for command. This extended to arrangements out of the line. The Platoon Commander was was still responsible for implementing his superior commanders intent and would have been involved receiving orders, passing on those orders, and a lot of paperwork. In addition to responsibilities to his platoon (as suggested by LB) he may also have held extra-regimental appointments, such as duty officer or messing officer. A good analogy I have heard is that the Platoon Commander was generally the Platoon's father, and the Platoon Sergeant the mother.

Rgds

Tim D

If this thread is about the subaltern's task IN TRENCHES then from all the accounts I have read his platoon was but one of four that he commanded when he was "on".

If, on the other hand, the thread is about peace-time soldiering, or about the platoon in attack, then he saw a lot of his platoon, and a great deal of their feet and rifles.

I had no idea of this LB. Very interesting. Would this depend on the configuration they went into the defence in....or was it a standard arrangement? I suppose if a Coy had to hold a particular portion of trench....without being responsible for the depth positions.....it would make sense. Did each Pl rotate through the Coy portion of the line or would there still have been a Pl responsibility for certain sections?

Certainly it is not that way nowadays....although I suppose there is very little trench warfare and rarely a Bde of even a Bn defensive position. Rotating shifts with other officers in charge of the Coy position......I suppose it would make for a lot more sleep than a subbie would usually get. :)

Rgds

Tim D

How the company held its part of the line varied but there was rarely a depth task ..... depending on the front to be held a battalion would have one or two companies "up" ..... a microcosm of Brigade arrangements, whereby one or two battalions would be "up". However, the thin red line was very thin in places. The amount of ground a subaltern had to cover when i/c the company was substantial.

One other point: rare indeed was a battalion complete regarding subalterns. Even the supposedly fully mobilised army in August 1914 went to war with a huge deficit in platoon officers, as Westlake's "British Battalions France and Flanders 1914" makes plain if you count heads.

Gotcha. Cheers

TD

Lt Arthur Innes Adam of the 1st Cambs was kia 16/9/16 age 22. In his letters home he mentioned supervising endless working parties, and likened his lot to that of glorified foreman.

I have his death penny!

A good analogy I have heard is that the Platoon Commander was generally the Platoon's father, and the Platoon Sergeant the mother. 

Rgds

Tim D

Interesting analogy, Tim. In practice, what characteristics would one like to see in the ideal platoon commander that a typical sergeant probably wouldn`t have?

phil B

One or two pips...and how to use the cutlery in the mess properly mate.....thats probably about it. The Mum and Dad analogy doesn't relate to personal characteristics....just the roles each fulfilled.

Rgds

Tim