Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Memorial Closure

Tom Morgan

In Paul's original posting about the cleaning of the memorial, he said that he understood that the cleaning work would mean that there would be no access to the two cemeteries.

Paul (or anyone else who has been there recently) - now that the work has started, do you know if access to the cemeteries is indeed restricted?

Tom

Tom - we walked into the site from Authuille and Leipzig Redoubt at about 6pm on Tuesday; there were barriers up with a gap in for access and you could visit most of the names and the burials in the cemetery. This was only Day 2 of the work, so I have no idea if it will change.

We are hoping to visit the memorial on Sunday/Monday 8/9th May just have to hope we can do so.

Another point you may be able to help me with:

Last time I visited Newfoundland 1998 there was no guides,or visitor centre open and we just strolled round the park. Will we be able to do so now or do you have to book a tour with the guides?? A guided our will be ok but I would like the freedom to suit ourselves.

Cheers

Paul

Last time I visited Newfoundland 1998 there was no guides,or visitor centre open and we just strolled round the park. Will we be able to do so now or do you have to book a tour with the guides?? A guided our will be ok but I would like the freedom to suit ourselves.

I was there earlier this month and saw plenty of people wandering around without guides. It's not quite so free and easy as to where you can stroll now though, they do want you to stick to the paths.