Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Car hire in Albert & Ieper

Guest monterey

Guest monterey

I should like to travel by train to both Albert & Ieper. Once there I like the idea of joining a local short tour for orientation and then hiring a car to explore further on my own.

Can some kind experienced person advise me the names of a reputable local car hire business in Albert and Ieper?

Thank you.

Monterey

For local short tours, the local Tourist Offices will be able to give you details of local operators. They will also have details of car hire companies.

Where are you staying? If it's a hotel, then they will often arrange car hire for you.

There is a company called Salient tours which does twice-daily tours of the Ypres and Somme areas. They start from the main square in Ypres and from the railway station in Albert. (Full details here, on their site.) I make no recommendation, have no connection with the company and have never been on one of their tours. It's just that you often see them around and they do seem to visit all the usual "must see" places so they might be OK for a brief orientation experience. Maybe other Pals can give more informed info about this and other short-tour companies.

Tom

If you follow the link I have pasted you will find information on all 3 garages providing rental cars in Ypres

http://www.ieper.be/nl/alfabet_toerisme/AUTOVERHUUR.html

I couldn't find the e-mail address of the other garages but here is the one for garage Louagie.

info@garagelouagie.be

Hope this helps you.

Charlotte

Guest monterey
If you follow the link I have pasted you will find information on all 3 garages providing rental cars in Ypres

http://www.ieper.be/nl/alfabet_toerisme/AUTOVERHUUR.html

I couldn't  find the e-mail address of the  other garages but here is the one for garage Louagie.

info@garagelouagie.be

Hope this helps you.

Charlotte

Thank you Tom & Charlotte,

Your assistance is appreciated - I shall follow your advice.. I shall travelling from Australia direct to Paris- thus the query.

I can now arrange a short tour and organise a car in Ypres.

Has anyone hired a car in Albert- Can you recommend a company?

Cheers Monterey

As far as I am aware the only car hire is a Europcar depot at the local Total garage in Albert. I don't know if you can just turn up and hire one. I think you would be better getting one from Amiens; there are several big car hire firm offices close to the railway station.

Guest monterey
As far as I am aware the only car hire is a Europcar depot at the local Total garage in Albert. I don't know if you can just turn up and hire one. I think you would be better getting one from Amiens; there are several big car hire firm offices close to the railway station.

Thank you Paul,

I'll take your advice and get a car from Amiens.

Cheers,

Monterey

Think about Lille. If you fly into Paris CDG there is a fast direct TGV link to Lille Europe. To get to Albert or Ypres by train from either Paris airport is going to be a bit inconvenient involving metro/bus and at least one train change. Lille is relatively central for both Ypres and the Somme and all major agencies are represented at both Lille Europe and Gare Lille Flandres stations. All the major budget companies are around Gare Lille Flandres.

That's very true Hedley, but you are used to Lille traffic - for someone in a strange country, in a strange car, and on the wrong side of the road, getting out of Lille might prove a little... challenging!

Must admit my first taste of Ypres was on a push bike!!!!

You could hire them from the station, don't know if you still can it was 20 yrs ago!!!!

need to be fit though unless like us you made frequent stops and have a bath in the hotel to relax those tired legs!!

Enjoy

Mandy

That's very true Hedley, but you are used to Lille traffic - for someone in a strange country, in a strange car, and on the wrong side of the road, getting out of Lille might prove a little... challenging!

Well, this is true (he said reflecting on his first car drive in Lille). Ypres or Albert might be a calmer choice.

Guest monterey

Thank you all for your input.

I have decided to "chuck a risk" and go by TGV to Lille from CDG. I'll go to Ypres and then work down to Albert via Fromelles & Bullecourt. I think I can drop off the car at Amiens and catch the train to Paris Gare du Nord. I'll put a big Aussie flag on display- this should warn the locals to keep their distance on the roads!

Cheers All

Monterey