Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Essex Regiment Lookup

Sapper Will

Is there a roll of honor or similar book which lists soldiers of the Essex? In particular I'm looking for Pte W. Hickox (MM) sn 28294. Thanks a lot.

Is there a roll of honor or similar book which lists soldiers of the Essex? In particular I'm looking for Pte W. Hickox (MM) sn 28294. Thanks a lot.

There is the Soldiers Died Essex Regt listing all fatalities. My copy is at home so cannot check until tonight. The Essex Regt Museum in Chelmsford have lists of all men of Essex who served whatever their Regt and are very helpful. The curator is Ian Hook.

Patrick

Hi Will,

I hope Patrick can find your man. I had a look but my copy of Soldiers Died Essex Regiment is not complete yet...couldn't find him in the 1st to 9th Battalions, incl.

Perhaps this is information you already have:

Medal Index Card

and

London Gazette M.M.

I'm presuming he died as you ask after the roll of honor? I couldn't find a mention via the CWGC website.....

Do you have any more details, like the Battalion he fought with, because I can

try to look for background info in the History of the Essex Regiments in WWI by Burrows.

Cheers, Michael

Hi Will,

I hope Patrick can find your man. I had a look but my copy of Soldiers Died Essex Regiment is not complete yet...couldn't find him in the 1st to 9th Battalions, incl.

Perhaps this is information you already have:

Medal Index Card

and

London Gazette M.M.

I'm presuming he died as you ask after the roll of honor? I couldn't find a mention via the CWGC website.....

Do you have any more details, like the Battalion he fought with, because I can

try to look for background info in the History of the Essex Regiments in WWI by Burrows.

Cheers,  Michael

That was a mistake on my part to ask after a roll of honor. I have no evidence that he died. I would like to know which battalion he served in so I can piece together some more of his history. I'll contact the Essex museum. Thanks for all your help.

Will,

If the Essex Museum can't help there is only one way to find out: download his MIC.

Michael

Will,

If the Essex Museum can't help there is only one way to find out: download his MIC.

Michael

The MIC was where I discovered this man. Unfortunately it doesn't list his battalion, although it does say he is on the SWB list. Thanks for your help.

Thank you very much to the gentleman who recommended contacting the Essex museum. In an astonishingly quick reply to my email Mr Ian Hook informed me that Pte Hickox served in the 10th Battalion, and that his MM is mentioned in the battalion diary in May, 1918.

Thank you very much to the gentleman who recommended contacting the Essex museum. In an astonishingly quick reply to my email Mr Ian Hook informed me that Pte Hickox served in the 10th Battalion, and that his MM is mentioned in the battalion diary in May, 1918.

Hi Sapper, I have checked my copy Essex Regt Soldiers died and Pte Hickox is not listed, must assume that he survived the war.

As for Ian Hook Essex Regt museum curator I havnt spoekn to him for some years but he was always enthusiastic and extremely helpful. They did have a card index listing every Essex Regt member and every man of Essex whatever his Regt and they were computerising this, I assume this has now been completed.

Hope I have been of some help

Patrick