Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Need some help

Ozzie

I am trying to place the 12th Light Horse at Gallipoli. There is very little out there on the 12th and I am hoping that members of the forum may be able to help. I have copies of (thanks to Steve and Jeff) History of the Fourth Light Horse Brigade by Lt Nutting and Looking Backwards By Chook Fowler. These are very General about movemnets of the 12th.Beans Histories do not have much of a mention either. Can any one recommend further reading?

So far I know where they formed, the ships that took them to Eygpt and that there were two sailings, the 12th and the Second reinforcements of the 12th but from there the dates of leaving Egypt and when they landed at Gallipoli get a little confusing as one account does not agree with the other.

What I am looking for is.

The date each left Egypt and the date they landed.

Which regiments the 12th was attached to and what positions they went to once on Gallipoli.

Ditto with the 2nd reinforcements.

There is any amount of information about the 12th once they return to the Middle East but as for Gallipoli, Help Please.

Kim

Hi Kim

Do you know anyone in Canberra? Some times the only way to get information such as this is to have a look at the unit war diary located at the Australian War Memorial.

In regards to the dates of arriving and leaving Gallipoli, have you checked the service records of any original 12th Light Horsemen that have been digitised on the National Archives website? They might be able to give you the dates of arrival and departure.

Cheers

Andrew

Who's a dummy. Found a page that was missing out of Nutting. That gave me the dates that I was after.

Tried your Idea of following Digitalized soldiers. Out of the twenty that I picked, 3 were online and one was sick before Gallipoli and two transferred to the sixth. No other info once transferred to the 6th until back in Egyot, so by now pulling out the hair. Reread Beans 2nd Book, the Last four chapters have helped.

So thanks for the reply, it set me on a new train of thought ,that helped heaps.

Kim

Kim

A little more info you may or may not have found by now.

From the AWM - Australian Military Units - 12th Light Horse Regiment:

"The regiment was reunited in Egypt on 23 July 1915 and began training as infantry, having been ordered to leave its horses in Australia. A month later it deployed to Gallipoli. The regiment was again split up; to reinforce three light horse regiments already ashore - A Squadron went to the 1st Light Horse Regiment, B Squadron to the 7th, and C Squadron to the 6th. It was not reunited until 22 February 1916, by which time all of the AIF troops from Gallipoli had returned to Egypt."

Cheers, Frev