Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Thiepval Memorial Closure

Simon Jones

Note that the memorial is being cleaned and will not be accessible between the hours of 0800 - 1700 Monday - Saturday. It is accessible after 1700 and all day Sunday.

Regards

Simon

As a matter of interest. The four British guys doing the cleaning are staying at Auchonvillers, and they are absailing down the memorial for the cleaning work. no scaffolding will be used.

Terry

Interesting that the CWGC is again using British contractors for this work - I remember chatting to a guy from Kent who was renewing all of the leadwork around the top of the memorial to the missing surrounding Pozieres cemetery some while ago - he reckoned that the local French contractors were not interested in undertaking the work - even the scaffolding was erected by a British firm..!!

Note that the memorial is being cleaned and will not be accessible between the hours of 0800 - 1700 Monday - Saturday.  It is accessible after 1700 and all day Sunday.

Regards

Simon

Sorry to drift off thread,- the 4 day course on the Somme looks really interesting, and it coincides with my birthday! Is there uni accommodation available for this?

Robbie :P

Sorry to drift off thread,- the 4 day course on the Somme looks really interesting, and it coincides with my birthday! Is there uni accommodation available for this?

Robbie  :P

Robbie

Yes, there is accomodation. Here is the link to the university site & see also Ken Lees's post in 'Other'.

Lancaster University

thanks

Simon

Yikes,

My old University, don't stay in my old college there (Lonsdale).

Andy

Yikes,

My old University, don't stay in my old college there (Lonsdale).

Andy

Andy; Lonsdale's accommodation CAN'T be any worse than County College's, surely! (recall fond-ish memories of my old box-room above County's bar!)

Andy; Lonsdale's accommodation CAN'T be any worse than County College's, surely! (recall fond-ish memories of my old box-room above County's bar!)

I have sent a PM to Andy informing him that Lonsdale College has now been demolished and rebuilt!

By the way - I didn't notice that Paul Reed had already posted a notification about the Thiepval closure, so apologies to Paul for repeating it.

Regards

Simon

By the way - I didn't notice that Paul Reed had already posted a notification about the Thiepval closure, so apologies to Paul for repeating it.

Regards

Simon

No problem, Simon. The more people who know the better - I have spent most of the week fielding this information to people over on the Somme to see a relative's name on the memorial. I am amazed there is still nothing about the closure on the CWGC website!

Petroc,

County College bar, I seem to remember many a good night there but there again the alcohol could have fuddled my brain. County and Bowland were where most of my friends were.

Not to sad to here that Lonsdale had been demolished, you ever been back????.

Andy

No problem, Simon. The more people who know the better - I have spent most of the week fielding this information to people over on the Somme to see a relative's name on the memorial. I am amazed there is still nothing about the closure on the CWGC website!

Paul

Is their a specific date for it to re open (be fully accessable)?

Stephen Binks

The information is now on the CWGC website and repeats the date of six weeks from 25 April, which is what Patricia Legrand in the Arras office told me. That makes it 6 June 2005.

Simon

Thanks Simon.